What's new

v27 Status?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought dual extrusion and negative/positive figures would do it but it doesn't work like that. I'll play with thin extrude to see if it does it. I thought that was for making box section and stuff like that.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I think that @UGMENTALCASE is looking for the ability to create a gap of 10mm from the sketch and then the 10mm extrusion.
That's not what he said...he wants the extrude to start 10 mm from the edge not the sketch.
Let's say you have put a sketch on a face and you want the extrude to start 10mm from the edge, set the first dimension to 10 and the second to 20 and you get like an offset 10mm thick extrude.
@UGMENTALCASE , An example image would clear things up. Can you post an example image?

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
What is needed/wanted is an OFFSET option for the start of the extrude boss. That is something SolidWorks has had for a while. When I was working I used it on several occasions and it came in handy when I was working off a skeleton sketch and some of the extrude boss/cuts needed to be started on a plane other than the one the sketch was on.

I found this video tutorial that describes how SW uses the feature.

Yes I use it in Catia quite a bit, especially when doing something like a remodel job from manual drawing. You sort of work like it's drawn up. So you can model on the edge of a part and then do the first offset and so on from there. It's half there, just need minus figures to work with the dual dimension thing

JimCad

With Inventor you select new sketch then click the face and drag the start of the sketch out to where you want it. (you can specify exact amount if needed)
I guess it's all down to what you're used to.
The Alibre offset plane works fine too. Just a few more clicks.

Oh yeah sure, there is more than one way to do a lot of things, it could be integrated into the dual dimension that's all I'm thinking

Yes just bang it in there, if you drag the arrows to go minus it sort of flips about and you get the same thing, but the left side of the extrusion goes out the right side and it shows a minus value but there is no offset/gap from the sketch to the end dimension. Whereas if it went true negative you can start the offset and end the offset wherever

The from sketch thing is a good shout.

Mika

Any news?…it’s 7th month of the year already. Starting to be busy if there is two versions coming for this year.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Beta planned for next week. Should be a short one.

Note that in most regular cycles let's say 90% of a release happens after the previous release is done.

This year is a bit different because a significant amount of dev time has been ongoing since last year for PDM. That has had the effect of making v27 a bit slower than normal but that is because a huge chunk of development is on PDM. Our goal is for that to be done this year but ultimately that needs to work really well so it will ship when it ships. But that's the goal and the reason these cycles were different than normal.

HKOCH

Note that in most regular cycles let's say 90% of a release happens after the previous release is done.

This year is a bit different because a significant amount of dev time has been ongoing since last year for PDM. That has had the effect of making v27 a bit slower than normal but that is because a huge chunk of development is on PDM. Our goal is for that to be done this year but ultimately that needs to work really well so it will ship when it ships. But that's the goal and the reason these cycles were different than normal.
what about the 3Dconnexion integration. Is that also a part of the release or is this for v28?

Max

Administrator
Staff member
what about the 3Dconnexion integration. Is that also a part of the release or is this for v28?
Changes to 3DConnexion will occur in v27. It is possible, based on feedback, that further changes will be required. We have done what we believe will satisfy most people, and we will now validate that. Incremental satisfaction from what we've already done for v27 requires a different approach and a non-trivially increased time budget, so we wanted to do the easiest and most obvious things first. So there will be an improvement in v27 for sure, and then the question is whether it is enough.

Mika

This is really good news…PDM is must. I just hope that is included, not separated purchase.

Changes to 3DConnexion will occur in v27. It is possible, based on feedback, that further changes will be required. We have done what we believe will satisfy most people, and we will now validate that. Incremental satisfaction from what we've already done for v27 requires a different approach and a non-trivially increased time budget, so we wanted to do the easiest and most obvious things first. So there will be an improvement in v27 for sure, and then the question is whether it is enough.
Please don't ditch the older versions of 3d connexion. I, along with many others I'd imagine, have an older space mouse.

tyc

Great news. Is the beta going to be open for public, or for a specific audience? I would like to participate in it.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sure Max will add a thread for the beta, when it's ready to go. In previous beta programmes, the only requirements have been to have maintenance expiry date AFTER a key date (so that your licence will allow the beta to work), and that you download the beta installer via a link provided in the beta forum thread.

No specific need to 'register interest' in advance. Just watch the forum next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.