What's new

What causes this herringbone / woodgrain effect

dsage

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this herring bone / woodgrain looking effect on this assembly. As I move the mouse around the surface it changes. It only shows up in this one assembly I put together. It shows slightly when the assembly is attached to a larger model as well. The rest of the model is fine.
I attached a package of the assembly. But when I download it back the lines show up but they do not move around and change any more. They just look like the picture (for me anyway).

upload_2020-2-3_20-12-2.png

Attachments

• cylinder water jacket assembly.AD_PKG
    292.4 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Initially, I turned off Ambient Occlusion and the wood pattern cleared up but was left with some transparency issue.
AO Off.png

Finally switched back to Legacy mode in System Options and it looked fine. Chalk it up to a graphics issue.
Legacy Display.png

JST

Alibre Super User
I had that until I went back to legacy display.

I also turned ambient occlusion off, yes.

I assume you have the display option of "shaded with all edges" selected, if not, the extra edges will go away also if you go to legacy display.

dsage

I had that until I went back to legacy display.

I also turned ambient occlusion off, yes.

I assume you have the display option of "shaded with all edges" selected, if not, the extra edges will go away also if you go to legacy display.
Thanks. I'll give those settings a try, out of curiosity. But I find it very odd that it's just that assembly that has the problem. The whole model is large and has a few assemblies and many many parts yet everything else is fine with the same settings.
If I get around to it I'll re-make the assembly to see what happens. Just another "One of those things" with Alibre I guess.
Very strange.

Thanks

Initially, I turned off Ambient Occlusion and the wood pattern cleared up but was left with some transparency issue.
Yes, that and the Show colored features default is my greatest disappointment with the Version: 2019 64-bit [Build 20072] update. -- Lew

JST

Alibre Super User
Thanks. I'll give those settings a try, out of curiosity. But I find it very odd that it's just that assembly that has the problem. The whole model is large and has a few assemblies and many many parts yet everything else is fine with the same settings.
If I get around to it I'll re-make the assembly to see what happens. Just another "One of those things" with Alibre I guess.
Very strange.

Thanks
Yeah... one of those things.

I sent a biggish assembly in to Max and Co, which they said was very strange.... it had been doing the stuff you showed and Lew mentioned, with very inconsistent transparency issues.. I do not know whatever happened there, nothing back on it. As you said, other things were OK, just that, and several of the alternate versions of it were AFU. Some others were "sort of AFU", and many were fine.

Lew has it.... Build 20072 is just plain SNAFU in several respects. I did blame it for some stuff that it turns out was not it's fault, but it was the big new deal complete with new graphics, only we can't use the graphics because of the goofy stuff.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
In case like this we really should have a graphics card comparison. If lower end GPUs go wonky with HOOPS we could define what the lowest spec card really ought to be.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
This is mine. HOOPS and every thing set to maximum:

Capture34.JPG

So its not Hoops, its the GPU. I'm running a Nvidia RTX 2070.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Using HOOPS and a NVIDIA GTX-1050Ti ...

upload_2020-2-4_18-20-50.png

I'll try it on my laptop with the exact same settings (NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000) and post that shortly!

Ralf

Alibre Super User
HOOPS and NVIDIA RTX-2060
04-02-_2020_20-50-29.jpg

Steps to avoid the effect:
- Open the model,
- Settings as above on max,
- Iso view,
- F5,
- Save

Last edited:

Ralf

Alibre Super User
HOOPS and NVIDIA Quadro K3100M
04-02-_2020_20-57-50.jpg
- Open the model,
- Iso view,
- F5,
- Save

Last edited:

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Hoops - MacBook PRO late 2013 - Parallels Display (Retina Display)

Screenshot-MB-PRO-Late-2ß13.png
- Open the model,
- Iso view,
- F5,
- Save

Last edited:

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Hoops - GTX 1060 6GB - 3840 x 2160

GTX-1060.png
- Open the model,
- Iso view,
- F5,
- Save

Last edited:

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Hoops - iMac Retina 5K - 2017 - Parallels Display - 5120 x 2880

iMac-.jpg
- Open the model,
- Iso view,
- F5,
- Save

Last edited:

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Hoops -GTX 1050 TI

GTX-1050-TI.png
- Open the model,
- Iso view,
- F5,
- Save

Last edited:

JST

Alibre Super User
GTX 1660ti did it. Only in Hoops mode.

With ambient occlusion it has edge jaggies AND stripes, without occlusion, it has just the jaggies.

Attachments

• bracket jaggies and stripes with occlusion.jpg
    bracket jaggies and stripes with occlusion.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 14
  • bracket jaggies no occlusion.jpg
    bracket jaggies no occlusion.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

bigseb

Alibre Super User
GTX 1660ti did it. Only in Hoops mode.

With ambient occlusion it has edge jaggies AND stripes, without occlusion, it has just the jaggies.
For the sake of experimentation try this (with HOOPS): save the assembly to a new location. Open each part and push settings to MAX. Save. Open assembly and max out everything too. Save. Re-orient.