What's new

Recent content by Jasper

1. J

what is a "free" axial constraint

Got it, thanks!
  2. J

what is a "free" axial constraint

I'm having trouble understanding what an axial constraint that is set to "free" does for you. It looks like it keeps two axes oriented in the same direction, but not necessarily co-axial. Is that correct? If so, how is this different in behavior from a mate (coincident?) constraint (e.g., mate...
  3. J

update to V22 failed - missing source file

I have been successfully running Alibre Design Expert V21 for quite some time now. Today when I started Alibre, it said there was an update available (V22). I selected it and it began the install of the update. At some point, it said something about needing to install some C++ item, and so I...
  4. J

What causes this herringbone / woodgrain effect

Yes I read that but it's not very specific and it sounded like the discussion here pointed to specific cards that did or did not work.
  5. J

What causes this herringbone / woodgrain effect

So...given all this, are there any guidelines or recommendations then on which GPU's to buy? My video card just gave up the ghost, and I don't know what I should get as a replacement. Thanks, PJ
  6. J

dimensions changing between configurations

I see what you mean I guess it was just operator error. I've worked with configs many times I guess I was just not paying attention to what i was doing, and made changes I don't recall. Sorry for the time waster.
  7. J

Please see attached. Within each config, open the equation editor and take a look at D6, D10, and D11. These values change depending on which config you're viewing. D6 is the diameter of a circle, for example; 1.027 in one, 1.03 in the other. None of these should change, nor did I edit anything...
  8. J

Is there any reason why a dimension would change value across configurations? I designed a simple sketch/feature, then created a second configuration based on that feature. Locked it. Went back to config1 and added more features. I then went to config2, and created a new sketch with the...
  9. J

default text size for drawings

How do I change the default text size for ALL future drawings, not just the one I'm currently working on? Thanks, PJ
  10. J

modeling a dome shape

BigSeb: I came to the same conclusion. I have Moi but haven't learned how to use it. Your model is spot on. Stefan: Your model is also spot on...How did you make it? Same as before with two lofts and guide curve? It would be faster for me to spend 40min in AD than learn Moi I'm sure.
  11. J

modeling a dome shape

Unfortunately this method creates a bullnose shape, like a fillet. I believe this is because the guide curve must begin and end on the two loft sketches.
  12. J

modeling a dome shape

Thanks Stefan I will give that a try tonight. PJ
  13. J

modeling a dome shape

Wade I can't open the file; I have 2018 but not updated to the latest version.
  14. J

modeling a dome shape

No drawings, just going off of photos of the original model. Here is a photo of the trolley in question, although this is a side view only and doesn't show the "dome shape" very well.
  15. J

modeling a dome shape

Thank you. I had forgotten about revolve. I tried revolve but I realize my problem is more complex than that. I am trying to model the rooftop of a trolley (i.e., train car). the roof is curved (convex) in one plane for most of its length, but at the ends the roof is curved in two planes (the...