What's new

Search results

1. P

Move - Setting relative basepoint

Stephen, If you click on the "expand" on the quote in my post, it will show you the entire message from support. Using your suggestion, I was able to get a sketch to move an exact amount, but the next time I tried it, it then acted up. Don't know if it is Alibre or my install. David implied...
  2. P

I just received confirmation that I am not nuts ;) at least as far as Alibre is concerned., Quoting from a reply to the trouble ticket I submitted: David, thanks for your help. At least we now know there is an issue with the feature.
  3. P

Stephen, Stu and all, No matter what I try, my Alibre version (Current, Pro) has a mind of its own when it comes to the basepoint for precise moving. No matter what I try, it comes up with some number to move the features and changing the U,V settings has no effect. when I first posted this, I...
  4. P

I am trying to use the Move tool to move sketches a defined amount. I understand the Cartesian and U & V functions but am being thrown a loop for the basepoint. Using the relative feature, it says it will move 'XX' amount from the basepoint. But how do you set the basepoint? The help article...
  5. P

PDM update?

jfnewman, Can you provide the link to Max's PDM thread where the discussion was being held? This thread was started because I couldn't find the original post that Max made. The forum search will not accept the term 'PDM' and I couldn't figure out another search term that would bring up that...
  6. P

PDM update?

Max - any updates on the PDM project that Alibre is working on? I am running into issue after issue, needing some way to manage the data I have. My mind is beginning to drop things thru the cracks and my notebooks need and index to the index. Any hope on the horizon? Paul
  7. P

How to rename parts within a STP file Assembly

I just imported an assembly saved as a STP file and converted it to an Alibre Assembly. It has 240+ parts in it. Has Alibre (or this group) come up with a method to rename each of the components, short of going in and manually changing each part name then replacing each part when the assembly...
  8. P

Measurements to loft and shell edges

Stu, Thanks, I tried this and it resolved the issue, at least for this instance. Sounds like it is a 'less than optimal' performance on the coding of Alibre. David & Max - your thoughts or comments Paul
  9. P

Measurements to loft and shell edges

I am modeling a header flange with an adapter tube. Flange is a simple extrusion. The header tube is a loft with a shell applied to get a round tube on one end and a shape on the other end to fit the flange. I've put the two together in an assembly, then 3D print to verify fits and clearances...
  10. P

STEP file conversion

Simon, Thanks for your tip. Fortunately, my parts are relatively simple so 3-5 sketches and I've duplicated the part. Fortunately, dual displays allow me to quickly measure STEP files as needed to modify or project another at the same time. Little tedious, but I've able to knock it out in...
  11. P

STEP file conversion

When I import a step file and then save it as an Alibre Part file, it creates one "whole'" piece. Is there a way to convert it into a true Alibre model or do I have to manually recreate the part in Alibre to have all the sketches & extrusions that make up the part? Thx Paul
  12. P

Mesh Cam & Engraving

I don't know, but don't think they've resolved the surface finish issues on 3D printing. At least not with the machines available to me. The labor to turn them to a glossy finish of the injection molded knob would price the parts out of the market.
  13. P

Re-modeling an STEP file?

Mike Thanks for your tips and pictures. That's the input I was looking for. Your and Latitude's ideas have me headed in the right direction. Paul
  14. P

Re-modeling an STEP file?

Are there any shortcuts or tips when remodeling an STP file? I am doing some 'reverse engineering' and have scanned a part, then converted it to an STP file. I want to remodel the piece in Alibre. I can go to the STP image, make measurements, and then create a model in Alibre, but this is...
  15. P

SLT Conversion

H.C. I am a newbie to stuff like this. Would you expand on what you mean by 'clean up that stl, like remove the letters at the bottom' Is that done by editing the raw file with WordPad or editing the STL file in Fusion or what? Thanks, in advance Paul
  16. P

Mesh Cam & Engraving

Thanks, Cator. I've attached the Alibre model and a picture of one of the configurations. Paul
  17. P

Mesh Cam & Engraving

I have a project that involves engraving the dome top of some automobile knobs. The part has been modeled in Alibre and I need to generate GCode for a Bantam Mills 'OtherMill'. Bantam suggests a workflow of exporting an STP file from Alibre into Fusion 360 Personal, then using that to generate...
  18. P

SLT Conversion

Harold - I am using V26.0.0,26040 Adi - Thanks for your comments. That is the same site I tried the online conversion. It does convert to a STP file however when you try to open it, Alibre freezes at 21% and never completes opening the file.
  19. P

SLT Conversion

I have a drawing done in STL format that I am trying to get into Alibre. I understand the process of putting it into Fusion 360 and exporting to STP format, then into Alibre. But I am running into issues. 1) I export from Fusion in STP format but when I try to open the file in Alibre, I am...
  20. P

Generating a cutting pattern for multiple parts - flattened sheetmetal

David You get the Gold Star. That did it - learn something everyday. Curious, what's the difference between UnBend and Flat Pattern? Other than the way it displays on Alibre and the ability to save in that configuration? Maybe just a quick view? very confusing Able to UnBend, save, make...