What's new

Search results

1. jaysinn

Exporting high resolutions drawing files

I prepared a line drawing in Alibre Designer that I intended to upload to a web site that only accepts PNG format drawings. However, the exported PNG file directly from Alibre was severely pixellated and lost essential information. Eventually I found the work-around: I used "Publish to PDF"...
  2. jaysinn

Trying to constrain a sketch messed it up

Using 2019 version, with the second update applied. I had a sketch for a part that had taken me some hours of work. It looked exactly like what I wanted, but then I started trying to get all the elements to be fully constrained. In the process, I discovered that some lines which I had...
  3. jaysinn

Dimension Font size inconsistent

Why is it that the numeral "6" seems to be in a smaller font than all the other numerals?
  4. jaysinn

Hint on editing parts in an Assembly

I had an Assembly where I created a New part within the Assembly, and even edited the part to some extent. Then I closed the Assembly window and further edited the part in a normal Part editing window. When I went back to the Assembly, the edited part wouldn't always behave like I wanted it to...
  5. jaysinn

We need a Video Tutorial on making fully defined sketches

Since I learned that I should be making my sketches Fully Defined, I've been doing a lot of experimentation and have learned a few tricks here and there - but it would be great if a real expert would do an authoritative video tutorial. For example, why is it that sometimes I can have a...
  6. jaysinn

How to create a 2D section view?

Let's say I have a collar with threads inside. I'd like to be able to create a section drawing, linked to the Part, which cleanly shows the face of the part but does not show all the stuff behind the face. Here is an example, with the upper drawing being the goal. The middle drawing is the...
  7. jaysinn

How can I make elements in my sketch be fully constrained?

I learned recently that it is best to have the sketches used to build a Part have all their lines & curves be "fully constrained". Sometimes I'm successful at doing this, and sometimes not. For example, I have two arcs that are attached to fully constrained lines (I use purple in my drawings...
  8. jaysinn

[SOLVED] How do you create a "Package"?

[SOLVED] Under the Gem or the File menu, there's an entry to create a "Package" - which says it will be a compilation of all the files associated with a project. But when I click on "create" it doesn't give me an opportunity to select the appropriate files. It simply creates a "package" with...
  9. jaysinn

How to do Trim to a surface? [SOLVED]

I have a part that I've modeled in Geomagic Design, and I'd like to extract a subset of the part to send to someone else. I know that I could do this by "brute force," just creating shapes to Extrude-Cut, leaving only the subset behind. But I wanted to learn another way to do it. I wanted to...
  10. jaysinn

How to navigate through a tutorial? [SOLVED]

Golly, I feel really embarrassed to ask this, but I can't figure out how to navigate through the tutorials. Once upon a time, back in Alibre days, I could do it, but not now. I've got Geomagic Design, and it has a help system with built-in tutorials. So I go to start a particular tutorial...
  11. jaysinn

Dimension lines in drawings [SOLVED]

I am running Geomagic Design Version:[ PRODUCTVERSION 16,0,2,16496 ] 64-bit on a Windows-7 computer. Every time I start a new Drawing, the color for Dimension lines is set to black. I'd like to change the default color to red. How can I do that? I have searched in these forums and in the...
  12. jaysinn

Temp file needs permission - but what user?

I have Alibre 2013 (Geomagic) Personal. I created a part and exported an STL file. The STL file seems to be OK, because I can "slice" it for my 3D printer successfully, and on screen it looks OK. But Alibre gives me this error message after creating the STL file. This is a new problem that...
  13. jaysinn

Draw line tangent to a circle or a circle tangent to a line

This should be simple, and the documentation says it should work, but I'm not seeing it... Let's say I'm in a Drawing and I have drawn a Circle. Somewhere outside the circle I have a starting point for a line (e.g. the intersection of two other lines). I click on the Line tool and click on...
  14. jaysinn

Using "Insert from file"

Hi, I'm a newbie to Alibre but quite fluent with Excel, etc. (In a previous life at work, I used a much more expensive CAD product). I'd like to create a specific curve shape based on points that I calculate in Excel. This curve would become one "side" of a figure in a 2D sketch. I know how...