What's new

2018 Impressions

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Things feel noticeably slower
I've noticed a slight slowing down, but can't put my finger on it. I do notice that when adding sketches and extruded features using the API it seems to do a lot of calculation at each and every action, like its re-calculating the whole model geometry. It doesn't work like that when you load a model, it only calculates stuff once everything is loaded, so not sure if its un-necessarily re-calculating stuff in the background when it really doesn't need to! That obviously shows on bigger models than smaller ones. It may also be the reason why step files take much, much, much longer to import on AD than they do on other CAD applications (i.e. MOI, STPViewer, etc).

Hopefully the AD team will do some timing profiling and try and improve performance, in my experience, it could be something as simple as deferring re-calcs until the all the data is in, not at every step of the way! or if its an edit to a model, just re-calc from the changed feature in the design explorer to the end, not from the beginning each time!

GDBranch

Minor annoyance:
When Alibre is launched the splash screen occupies a certain portion of the screen (not full). I see the part I was previously working on so I click it. The screen shuffles around and (I think) changes position. I have to re-click the part to get it to open.
No big deal I guess but annoying.
What I've found is that the splash screen may not be updated and that causes the wrong file being chosen. But if you LMB on an open area of the splash screen it will update the view and eliminate the problem.

dwc

Alibre Super User
I am seeing long delays between when a dialog box is opened and when the data fields are filled.
For example when editing an extrusion the dialog box opens, but it takes a couple of seconds before the fields are filled.
This was immediate in the last version.
Don

creefer

I've had extreme slowing down of the Home/Splash screen. Even if I move it on my screen it says "not responding" for 5-10 seconds. Also, it can take 20-30 seconds to close it. When switching to the home screen from another program, it's unresponsive for a similar amount of time.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I've had extreme slowing down of the Home/Splash screen. Even if I move it on my screen it says "not responding" for 5-10 seconds. Also, it can take 20-30 seconds to close it. When switching to the home screen from another program, it's unresponsive for a similar amount of time.

Was this slowing down immediately after updating Alibre, or has it happened subsequently? Which build of AD are you running?

slipstick

I don't have much of a track record with Alibre yet, but my impression so far is good. As suggestions, I'd like to see improvements to the hatching, such as being able to have finer lines. The screenshot is with the minimum line weight from a PDF made in Alibre.

upload_2018-6-7_8-14-34.png

creefer

Was this slowing down immediately after updating Alibre, or has it happened subsequently? Which build of AD are you running?

Build 19033. Happens all the time. If I bring the Home screen up from minimization, it temporarily locks up for 15-20 seconds.

upload_2018-6-13_10-39-54.png

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Build 19033. Happens all the time. If I bring the Home screen up from minimization, it temporarily locks up for 15-20 seconds.
Do you have an anti-virus installed? If so, it is setup to 'scan on access', i.e. when applications or files are opened? If you have a virus scanner, try disabling it for 10 mins and see if that has an effect. Also, are any of the parts/drawings in your recent list on a network drive (i.e. NAS)? If so, it maybe that the NAS is set to sleep when not active. They sometimes take 10-15 seconds to spool up and respond to network requests (My Synology and QNAP NAS's both stall windows like this).
Not saying either of these is the issues, but it's worth ruling something out. I've never had issues with AD or the Home Screen not responding, but I do all my work locally and backup/version control to network storage afterwards and my anti-virus is disabled from 'on access' scanning for performance reasons.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I'll ask the question with different wording. Has this problem happened ever since installing 19033? Did it happen with 19030 ? Was there any period since the update when it behaved 'properly'?

creefer

I'll ask the question with different wording. Has this problem happened ever since installing 19033? Did it happen with 19030 ? Was there any period since the update when it behaved 'properly'?

I would say no, has always been the same. But I can't be 100% sure.

I'll try the anti-virus but it's corporate installed so having difficulty even disabling temporarily.

creefer

Do you have an anti-virus installed? If so, it is setup to 'scan on access', i.e. when applications or files are opened? If you have a virus scanner, try disabling it for 10 mins and see if that has an effect. Also, are any of the parts/drawings in your recent list on a network drive (i.e. NAS)? If so, it maybe that the NAS is set to sleep when not active. They sometimes take 10-15 seconds to spool up and respond to network requests (My Synology and QNAP NAS's both stall windows like this).
Not saying either of these is the issues, but it's worth ruling something out. I've never had issues with AD or the Home Screen not responding, but I do all my work locally and backup/version control to network storage afterwards and my anti-virus is disabled from 'on access' scanning for performance reasons.

Yeah, all those files are on the network...that has me leaning toward network issues. Makes sense if it's previewing all those files.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
As well as a generally slow network (network hardware) giving issues, Microsoft's Autotune feature can really mess up performance with large files (which CAD files tend to be). You might want to talk to your IT people about disabling Autotune for a trial.

Excessively long path names can also really screw things up.

There are "pop-up" things that leap up while I am Sketching that get in th way of what I am working on! Is there a way to turn this off? Also, the Sketch mode defaults to not show dimensions and I am constantly have to stop and turn their display back on! Why???

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Lew, not sure what you're referring to but this should cover it:

upload_2018-7-23_17-28-12.png

Can you be more specific about dimension display turning off? After you enable dimension display:
upload_2018-7-23_17-29-19.png

when does it turn off? After leaving sketch mode? After restarting Alibre Design? Etc.

Possibly unlikely, but check your keyboard shortcuts - perhaps you have the toggle set to an innocuous key that you are pressing. Worth ruling out.

Lew, not sure what you're referring to but this should cover it:

Can you be more specific about dimension display turning off? After you enable dimension display:

when does it turn off? After leaving sketch mode? After restarting Alibre Design? Etc.
Max -- As I never enable the display you show, I have no idea what you are suggesting. The last "update" changed a number of things for the worse!

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Max -- As I never enable the display you show, I have no idea what you are suggesting. The last "update" changed a number of things for the worse!

Lew, it is possible your user profile got corrupted. A result of this might be some options got switched around. I have shown you the 3 types of "pop up things" that are possibly getting in your way during sketch mode and how to toggle/disable their display. If you are experiencing a different "pop up thing" then please screenshot it.

Larry

This won't necessarily help those users seeing issues with the latest release. But as a metric, running here Alibre 2018.1.1 on Win 10 Home 1803 (latest build) - Norton Security (and lots of other stuff) running in the background. Work and store locally (backup to NAS drive). Alibre seems to run as fast as it ever did - no hangs or even obvious slow-downs.

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Lew,

It may be the Realtime Dimensions display boxes that are causing problems. I found that they often obscured Nodes that I wanted to select so I turned them off. There is no easy way to do this if, like me, you don't use the Ribbon display. The toggle for them isn't in the default Visibility toolbar and neither is there a menu entry.... You need to start a custom toolbar and load the toolbutton to toggle Realtime Dimensions into that. It's the second example of the three that Max gives above.

NB I'm still using 2017 so, things might have changed in 2018.....

1) I do not use "Ribbons" (and never will)!
2) I have always had Sketch Dimensions and Show Sketch Constraints set to on.
3) I have to turn them on each time I open a file even though they were on when I Saved the file!

So, the question is, how do I restore things to how they were before the update?