What's new

2018 Impressions

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
As Max previously mentioned - these settings are held in your user profile, not in the part files. Use the Reset User Profile link on the Utilities tab of the Home Window, after doing so you'll have to re-set your chosen customisations.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
@Lew_Merrick , for the future here is a method you might like to use. When your settings are how you want them:

1. Open Alibre Design
  2. Click the Utilities Tab
  3. Click the Log Files Directory link
  4. Click the folder, perhaps named Default User or something similar:

upload_2018-7-25_13-5-32.png
  5. Locate the file User.Net.Profile

upload_2018-7-25_13-6-33.png
  6. Copy this file to somewhere else, e.g. c:\lewsbackupdata
In the future, if your profile becomes corrupt, you should be able to copy/paste this file into the original directory (from step 4) to restore it.

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Regarding to the Part, Shell Metal and Drawing Grid Work Space:
I have noticed that in ADV11 the grid lines are much more thinner (better) than AD V12 to latest version.. Furthermore, I have run ADV11 in safe mode and the grid lines appear the same to the latest version! Is there any chance of correct this anomaly into the latest one?

Last edited:

GIOV

Alibre Super User
No answer.. Ralf, is it feasible that you check this Workspace grids issue with your AD V11(PRODUCTVERSION 13,0,0,13062) and AV18 (Fuzzy grid lines) and do the appropriate comparison in OS safe and normal mode? Some idea for an appropriate setting up the Grid thinner in to the Workspace?
Thanks in advance.:)

Last edited:
2018 crashes when I am also streaming in another window, not every time but quite often. Completely locks up computer won't recognize ctr=+alt +delete requires a complete restart. Too bad I really like listening to msnbc etc while working

MilesH

Alibre Super User
2018 crashes when I am also streaming in another window, not every time but quite often. Completely locks up computer won't recognize ctr=+alt +delete requires a complete restart. Too bad I really like listening to msnbc etc while working
Check that it's not a thermal trip?

MilesH

Alibre Super User
1) I do not use "Ribbons" (and never will)!
Me neither. They seem a terrible waste of screen space to me. I'm a bit worried about the commitment to maintaining the conventional toolbars though... I noticed there are no separately available toolbuttons for Alibrescript in 2018. Or have I just not found them? No shortcuts either?

RwSkinner

I'm having issues where the dimensions don't draw properly. They were fine until I upgraded to 2018. Now, they are not clear and sometimes broken segments in the values. See the attached screen shot. They actually can be much worst.

So when creating a new dimension, or editing an existing one, the value is broken up and blurry, but if I use the mouse wheel and scroll in or out and force it to redraw the screen then the values become crystal clear.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-08-25 11.01.41.png
    Screenshot 2018-08-25 11.01.41.png
    146.1 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

daleroe

Crash, Crash and Crash Again!

Is anyone else experiencing a lot of crashes? I wiped my hard drive and re-installed the OS and only installed minimal software to make sure there isn't a conflict and everything is still crash happy. Since my re-install counting today's 2 crashed I've had over 11.
--dale

Win 7-64
Alibre Design Expert
Version: 2018.1.1 64-bit [Build 19055]

batejosh

Alibre has always crashed regularly for me. Support suggests that it is my computer because they can't replicate some of my problems, but after hearing your experience I'm not so sure! My computer seems more than capable with any other program. It's just Alibre that is unstable.

jfleming

Alibre Super User
So.... we have about 6 licenses here at work, none of us have upgraded to the latest version yet. We are currently on:

Alibre 2017.1.2 64 Bit

Have enough of the bugs been worked out yet on the latest and greatest version??? Don't need to be dealing with a lot of dumb issues.

Thanks!

dwc

Alibre Super User
Is anyone else experiencing a lot of crashes?
I use AD regularly since V11 and am now up-to-date with 2018.
I cannot remember the last time AD crashed on me, if it ever did.
I have seen AD get very slow with big assemblies of complicated parts, but as far as I can see it doesn't crash.
I would suggest that you note the situations when AD crashes for you to see if there is any pattern.
Then maybe support can help more.
I do have programs that crash once in a while, they are from Microsoft.
Don

JST

Alibre Super User
I would not consider the current version of Alibre to be unstable, or to crash much.

If left sitting open for a few hours, it may get funky, but I have had that with other programs as well, and cannot blame it on Alibre. It may be an OS issue with Win 7.

I am actually running the program with less than recommended memory resources, so if it is not crashing for me, it probably will not for you either. The problems I have stem from having large files, and smaller memory, and the memory leak that Alibre has. All I need to do is close and re-open the program when memory use creeps up to 3 GB after opening and closing larger files a number of times.. If you have 8 GB or more, you probably will never see this problem.

The current Alibre 2018.1.1 is stable in my opinion. It needs some things improved, but then so does Solidworks.

daleroe

I use AD regularly since V11 and am now up-to-date with 2018.
I cannot remember the last time AD crashed on me, if it ever did.
I would suggest that you note the situations when AD crashes for you to see if there is any pattern.
Then maybe support can help more.
Don

I've been using Alibre from the beginning and have never experienced a crash before the latest upgrade. I've been corresponding with support. Of course, most of the problems I'm experiencing can't be duplicated. I dumped everything and re-installed the OS with only a few key programs and Alibre crashed 3x that day!

daleroe

Alibre has always crashed regularly for me. Support suggests that it is my computer because they can't replicate some of my problems, but after hearing your experience I'm not so sure! My computer seems more than capable with any other program. It's just Alibre that is unstable.
Yeah, I hear what your saying. My Computer is more than capable with any other programs I throw at it too! I've never had an Alibre crash prior to this version.

jhiker

Alibre Super User
Yeah, I hear what your saying. My Computer is more than capable with any other programs I throw at it too! I've never had an Alibre crash prior to this version.
Quite often if I'm opening a large file from M-Files I get the Alibre window, then 'Loading session' then Alibre just drops out - no error message, nothing, it just closes itself. The file remains 'checked out' but I have no Alibre session running.
I don't recall this happening so often before this latest version.

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Hi All,
What happens with this bug? When I want to change the number of sides of the polygon this message appears. Alibre Design11 had the same bug. So I do like know if will be some improvement with this issue.
Actually I am running Version: 2018.1.1 64-bit [Build 19055]
Thanks.
upload_2018-11-3_19-12-22.png

Last edited: