What's new

2019- List of New Features or Fixes

fpirz

Sign me up for the 2019 Beta. I've got a project that I need to import .stl files for. Should give it a good workout.
certainly better than the process I've got to go thru to do it now. (you don't want to know...)

Frank Pirz
Media Conversions LLC

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Frank - I don't think anyone has suggested that STL import will be included in v2019.0

Rob2beans

this is great, I have a p4000 card installed and can not wait to take advantage of it! There was a bug with the trim feature under the surfacing tab, will that be fixed?

domcm

@Max

Any chance the graphics improvements will speed up reprojecting views on drawings with many sheets? Right now, that is the biggest Alibre performance bottelneck for me.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Any chance the graphics improvements will speed up reprojecting views on drawings with many sheets? Right now, that is the biggest Alibre performance bottelneck for me.

Would you be able to open a drawing and then File > Package > Create Package and send it to me? That way I can benchmark it. Also, if your drawings have something that is particularly taxing on performance, we can use it for performance testing / debugging.

Max@alibre.com or if it's really big: https://www.dropbox.com/request/PjHmOBSg203xu0LN0Ks6

Max

Administrator
Staff member
@Max

Based on your model, the following results were obtained:

File Open:
Old: 65 seconds
New: 54 seconds

Reproject everything:
Old: 230 seconds (3 min 50 seconds)
New: 228 seconds (3 min 48 seconds)

It does not appear that this drawing would be significantly affected by the new graphics pipeline. The primary culprit appears to be that there are 120 Views in this drawing. The biggest way we can approach improving this scenario is to perhaps multithread view creation. That is on our minds, but is not for this release. I will pass this drawing to our Dev team.

Thanks!

domcm

@Max

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, multithreading drawing view creation would be a significant improvement for those of us who create production drawings. My only other option is to re-structure my drawings and create multiple drawings per assembly to reduce the number of views per drawing which is not an ideal solution for me.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
@Max

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, multithreading drawing view creation would be a significant improvement for those of us who create production drawings. My only other option is to re-structure my drawings and create multiple drawings per assembly to reduce the number of views per drawing which is not an ideal solution for me.

No worries. BTW, for access-heavy applications where you may read/write a lot, it's not a bad idea to invest in a NVMe M.2 SSD drive. If you don't know, all SSDs are not equal, NVMe being a newer standard and requiring a NVMe slot on your motherboard. But they are...ludicrously fast.

I use this one personally. It's not a silver bullet, but it really helps a lot.

Reactions: MKR

Max

Administrator
Staff member

That is functionality was single purpose to bring in mesh files and convert them to solids and used proprietary 3D Systems technology. Replacing it requires us to license some new stuff from other vendors who take a broader approach to engineering workflows.

As a result when we implement "mesh handling v2" we have to put a lot of thought into the extended workflows we want to enable and how to support them to take it from "toy" to real engineering flow. It's a big feature set and probably needs a release largely unto itself. Not something that can be slipped in.

Last edited:

JST

Alibre Super User
Maybe I am unique, but I used mesh import/STL import a couple times, and in neither case did it actually work usefully for me. One left out things, and the others did not really give me anything I could work effectively with.

What I got was different from, but not much more useful than, the "data cloud" we got once from a CMM. Neither translated to anything that was very useful, probably because there was nothing available to allow extracting a sensible set of dimensions, or even tolerances.

I could not reduce it to a sensible part, and there were no useful tools to help.

If STL import never came back, I would not actually miss it, even though I have generated many STL files and had many 3D printed parts made.

MilesH

Alibre Super User
This platform also sets us up to be able to do lots of things :
......... 4. Draggable section views
I've got a question about Section Views in the new graphics pipeline. Presently, the Section Plane only sections Part geometry which it intersects with. This shows up in cases such as, for example, a Circular Array. Here, unless one of the elements is intersected by the Section Plane, the whole Array remains visible. Will this change?

Last edited: