What's new

Alibre 2012 is now available! (And will rock your socks off)

MYPrecision

Is there a way to have both versions 2011 and 2012 installed at the same time? I have about 4 projects on the go right now and am a little skeptical about installing the new version because if something does not work right then I am kind of screwed because I am assuming that you can not go back a version once you have saved it in 2012.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
No there is not a way to have both versions concurrently.

You are correct. If you have several mission critical project I suggest you delay. That's just good sense for any product.

That said, we tested AD 2012 extensively. One way around waiting is to make a backup of your 2011 files. Then upgrade. You will probably be fine. "Probably" isn't good enough - I know. So, if you have a very mission-critical project going on you should back and upgrade or you should wait. Nothing says you have to upgrade now. That's why we make people manually accept an upgrade, so they are comfortable with it.

We stand behind 2012, but realize that given the variety of everything our tens of thousand of users have going on, some of them may run into an issue. That's why I'm not saying "UPGRADE NOW"; it's not the right decision for you until you are in a comfortable place - no matter how stable we or anyone else says it is. Your business is first - do what you need to do first. Anyone else, or any other product, that tells you different is dreaming.

rufusthedog

Newbie here, I hope this OK to ask here.

I have current maintenance, when I go to my download area it still reflects 2011. What do I have to do to have access to 2012.

Thank you,

Rufus

nandangse

I downloaded the software with all the anticipation of a father outside the delvery room... but it downloadedthe 2011 version itself!
is there a problem below? i am subscribed to the maintencne!

Your Products
Alibre Design Expert 13.0, plus: DesignCheck, PhotoRender Industrial, ModelPress, FreeMill, SprutCAM, Local Repository, Machinist Toolbox, Engineers Toolbox, Online Training v2

Your Maintenance Information
Maintenance Expiration Date: 5/25/2012

MYPrecision

Thanks Max

I will do a back up when I am done working tonight and install the new version in the morning and see how it goes.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Newbie here, I hope this OK to ask here.

I have current maintenance, when I go to my download area it still reflects 2011. What do I have to do to have access to 2012.

Thank you,

Rufus

Go to My Account Info. Select the Upgrades link on the left - and accept the upgrade.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Now got the 2012 upgrade page!!!! so for motion., etc we have to use the 32 bit version on a 64 bit machine?

Yes. You must use 32 bit AD 2012 if you plan on using Motion, even if installing on a 64 bit machine.

Not for long.

Max

H-L-Smith

I have it downloaded and installed AD 2012 on my big HP laptop (1680x1050 screen) and it looks and behaves very well. I love the new icons and have up-sized them to the large size already using the "Gem", which was easy to use. My larger models actually rotate faster now, so there must be some speed improvements in the video area too. Next, I'll install it on my two-headed workstation and see how that goes.

It will take a few days to explore all the areas of the new UI, but I like it very much. I think the yellow/blue theme on the icons is very effective; great contrast, but simple too. I was waiting on some possible suggestions for 2013 in your thread for that purpose, Max, subject to seeing what's been changed in 2012 already. I'll definitely be exploring 2012 as much as I can and trying out the new features on some test projects. The new interface is much, much better and does represent a very positive advancement from my perspective.

Cheers,

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Max said:
Now got the 2012 upgrade page!!!! so for motion., etc we have to use the 32 bit version on a 64 bit machine?

Yes. You must use 32 bit AD 2012 if you plan on using Motion, even if installing on a 64 bit machine.

Not for long.

Max

Will it also be coming "soon"? :wink:

dammerel

Hi all

Just installed 2012 here in australia, no probs with download or install
love the ribbon and sketching tools but still wish for mirror in assembly, 2d rendered views, mirror flanges in sheetmetal
i consider this basic fo a 3d package, even the free sketchup has this. interesting fact, i had the solid edge sales guy knocking on the door
the offer was $6000 capital plus on-goings

heres wishing for 2013!

keep up the good work guys

Andrew

jhiker

Alibre Super User
Looks fantastic!
So I can switch off all my 'old' toolbars now (top & right side) and just rely on the ribbon?

Bowber

Grrrr, wish I'd seen the helpfull reply for Norton users BEFORE trying to install the update!
Now my laptop seems to be having a fit, restarted it and walked away to get some work done so will try again at lunch time.

I eventually turned off Sonar but not Insight, will insight be causing the install error? as the install got part way along then I got an error saying something wasn't found or was missing (sorry for the lame description) and then a small list appeared on screen.

I've now restarted my laptop and am redownloading the update file to make sure it's not been corrupted by Norton. By the way it's the setup.exe Norton doesn't like so if Alibre can get Norton to update their definitions it should help other users.

Thanks
Steve

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
jhiker said:
Looks fantastic!
So I can switch off all my 'old' toolbars now (top & right side) and just rely on the ribbon?

Absolutely - I was involved in the pre-beta and the beta, was asked specifically to turn off all tool bars and exclusively use the ribbon. I was initially sceptical (I really am not keen on Microsoft Office Ribbons), however I was pleasantly surprised and expect to continue working this way in future.

kev h

Even the ribbon can be minimized with the quick magic cursor toolbar for most things !! :D

Just torn between the great look of the ribbon or minimizing it for more workspace. ;)

Cheers Kev :cool:

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Re: Alibre 2012 is now available!

Max said:
Screw terrestrial by then. We'll be interdimensional by 2098. How the heck do you dimension in interdimensional space. Can you imagine the 2?D projection requirements? Orthographic suddenly loses all its sex appeal :D
Meanwhile, we wait for 3D dimensioning.......