What's new

Alibre 2012 is now available! (And will rock your socks off)

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
Max said:
If you've bought Expert since we started including MoI, you do not have to purchase it separately.
If you didn't, you will need to.

Where can we buy MOI on Alibre's web site? The Alibre store doesn't list MOI as an option or upgrade that I can buy and it's not on the list of downloads for my account.

smdub

Max said:
If you've bought Expert since we started including MoI, you do not have to purchase it separately.
If you didn't, you will need to.

I bought expert a year or so ago, before MoI, but I have a current maintenance contract (and have downloaded and installed the 2012 upgrade.) MoI does not show up on my downloads page. So I have to buy even if on maintenance? Again, this is about as clear as mud on the website where is just says "Moment of Inspiration
is included in: Alibre Design Expert." Thanks!

ASP

as I learned, maintenance does not mean, that you get anything more. New features are not included.
The only thing you get is the new version with the features you have as you purchased AD.
This is annoying for those of us who uses AD over years ... so I have some really useless things in my license. (i.e. PhotoRenderer, FreeMill, ALGOR DesignCheck)
Also don't have the full sheetmetal workspace (i.e. Convert Solids to Sheet Metal) because it was not in my Pro license 6 years ago.

smdub

Hmm. Thats really strange if true. Its not how the maint fee works on any of our other licenses but Im fairly new to Alibre so thats news to me. That really devalues the 'worth' of the maintenance fee IMO.

H-L-Smith

I was also surprised by this approach at Alibre. It's new to my experience with software licensing too. I did express a similar opinion to the last couple of replies here in another thread some time back, but it's worth repeating.

There are also distinct advantages to having the top-of-the-line version, Expert, contain ALL the current goodies. Besides the obvious homogeneity for support purposes, it vastly increases the perceived value of the product to professional users and creates product loyalty and gives Alibre an expert-class of users to hammer away on new features or products and to "spread the gospel" so to speak with respect to the usefulness and value of Alibre Design and keeping it current through maintenance. This seems truly obvious to me. Apparently, many other software companies see it the same way since that's what they do with their top-end products.

It might mean slight increases in maintenance fees over time to accommodate the additional functionality added, but you don't have to do it by recovering 100% of the cost for your new addition or functionality in round one from your existing high-end users. You spread the costs over time and may charge new purchasers of Alibre Design Expert slightly more for their initial purchase of the software and slightly more for maintenance, but not more than existing users - charge all the same amount for maintenance.

dwc

Alibre Super User
Not all bad.
It works in the other way too.
Features that were in the program when bought and are not now continue to work after an upgrade with maintanance.
I like it.
Don

smdub

dwc said:
Features that were in the program when bought and are not now continue to work after an upgrade with maintanance.
I like it.

What, like FEA? Yeah, that stops working permanently when you upgrade your machine or have to reinstall windows :roll: (It was the reason I upgraded to expert.)

Ralf

Alibre Super User
smdub said:
dwc said:
I like it.

What, like FEA? Yeah, that stops working permanently when you upgrade your machine or have to reinstall windows :roll: (It was the reason I upgraded to expert.)
If you have an existing ALGOR account/license,
you can change your "license" to another computer:

http://www.algor.com/my_account/default.aspx

- License Number: AE.....
- Password:

Attachments

• Sign_In.png
    Sign_In.png
    68.8 KB · Views: 26

smdub

ralf3,
THANKS! Thats really helpful. The instructions that came from Alibre when it was discontinued (through no fault of theirs - Autocad bought it) was it was now or never. I've been keeping the old machine alive since I thought I couldn't move it.

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Please take a look, here are the instructions. :)

Enter your Algor license number and password as follows:
License Number: AE......
Password: .......
Choose the link to re-host your software license.
Access "START|PROGRAMS|ALGOR|TOOLS|License File Setup Utility".
Choose the first option, "I want to obtain my license file from ALGOR."
Enter your license number and password from above.
Then copy the "HOSTID" from the License File Setup Utility to the Algor re-host webpage.
One can then re-host the license file and save to your computer.
One will then exit the license file setup utility, then re-access the license file setup utility and choose the third option,
"I already have a license file from ALGOR and would like to install it to this computer."
Browse and select your newly downloaded license file.