What's new

Alibre 2012 is now available! (And will rock your socks off)

Bowber

So err please excuse my ignorance but these ribbon UI's seem to use a hell of a lot of screen space, that's about 1" of screen gone from the top!

Ok now found the little arrow to make it 'fold up', can see a bit of a learning curve here :)

Steve

engineer

Max said:
Yes. You must use 32 bit AD 2012 if you plan on using Motion, even if installing on a 64 bit machine.

Not for long.

Max

One still needs to run Alibre as Administrator Motion for 32 bit AD 2012 running on Vista 64.

If not, then when the Alibre Motion box is checked in the Add-On Manager, an exception is thrown with the message
"Exception Caught in GetAddOnInterface".
When you OK the error window that pops up it then displays another which reads -

Error message is
"Add-On Load Failure.
The following add-ons could not be loaded:
Alibre Motion: Object Reference not set to an instance of the object".

If one runs Alibre as Administrator, the exception does not occur but one needs to check the Alibre Motion
box within the Alibre Add-on manager from the Home Window . Then when one invokes an assembly space,
the Motion icon appears in the Add Ons and the Motion Explorer menu item is selectable.

If one runs Alibre as Administrator but does not check the Motion box from the Home window but instead
checks it from within the Assembly space, then though the Motion icon will appear, the Motion Explorer
menu item will not be accessible.

nvanlaar

Is there some reason 2012 is not available on my download page? I purchased maintenance back in April, so I should be good to go. How different is the RTM from the last beta (I'm still running)?

Thanks,
Nick

Never mind... heh... while waiting for a reply I decided to read up the thread... :oops:

nandangse

All in all awesome program. I am truely enjoying this. But it seems more visual than substance at first look. A lot of "requests" from avid users like myself who have been with alibre since 8 years have gone unheard.

Some Pointers:
1) No mirror in patterns
2) No colours in 2D drawings
3) No rendering in isometric drawings
4) Large assemblies (75 parts still taking a long time with 8 GB ram)
5) 2D drawings still a little slower
6) no limits in constraints eq 10 to 40 mm
7) Alternate views not in drawings

On the plus
1) The normal moving and work will be improved
2) multiple part patters are good

Knowing the calibre of you guys we would have hoped that you would have done better.... especially when Max says that you want to be the best CAD software there is. We are not even looking for the best weare looking to be at par!

Max

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not exactly sure what most of these are referring to...

1) No mirror in patterns
- What specifically are you talking about? You can mirror just about every pattern except an assembly pattern. Is that what you are referring to?

2) No colours in 2D drawings
- ?

3) No rendering in isometric drawings
- True, though there is a fairly straightforward workaround. Not ideal I know, but it takes about 20 seconds to get a view to look rendered via importing an image.

4) Large assemblies (75 parts still taking a long time with 8 GB ram)
- What exactly is taking a long time? Loading? Interacting? It has nothing to do with your RAM. We have users making assemblies with 5000 parts quite successfully, so if 75 parts is "way too slow" then either your processor is slow or you have a lot of other programs taking up your resources. Were your circular facets set to 300? Are you using subassemblies? Etc.

5) 2D drawings still a little slower
- What exactly is slow? View creation? Opening a massive DWG? etc.

6) no limits in constraints eq 10 to 40 mm
- True

7) Alternate views not in drawings
- What is an "alternate view"?

Max

MYPrecision

Max

I am not sure exactly what is being refered too but for me number

2) means that all drawings come in as black lines and not the same colour as the 3D model. That is a REALLY big one for me and my customers. I can not change the colour of individual blocks in the 2D work space. That is next to impossible, way too many lines. Also I try to change the colour/line type of my strip layouts so at least that is different from the die design and that takes roughly 45 mins. to highlight the lines and then I have let it sit for over 12 hours and it did not finish the line change. I am running a 2gig dual core with 8 gig ram.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
You are trying to change the color of all projected figures in a single view to a different layer style? Can you find an example and just link me? That would be much easier.

Gbcm

not available for me :(
i can download only the english-multi 12 installer (but without the italian language)
i'm waiting for the italian translation, someone know how much time keep the translation or next release?

I was really impatient to use the new version, I also upgraded the license to v.14 :cry:
Do you need help in translation? i'm here :mrgreen:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
drbris said:
I keep checking to see if 2012 is on the downloads page but it still says 2011.62ax64 ???

Yes it will continue to do so until you upgrade your account from your Account Info page.

Hop

Okay, here's my two cents. I installed Alibre 2012 as a 32-bit app on my work PC and on my home PC, both running XP Pro, and on my Hewlett-Packard laptop running 64-bit Windows 7 Home Edition, but also installed as a 32-bit app so I could possibly run Motion and Parts Library from the laptop. This all installed without a hitch. Maybe it didn't exactly rock my socks off, but it did make them curl down around my ankles. Pretty spiffy new release.

My brother bought the laptop for me as a birthday present, and I had already installed Alibre 2011 (or V. 13) on it as a 64-bit app. My tiny models didn't seem to take advantage of the 64-bit installation, so I decided not to bother with a 64-bit version of Alibre 2012 (or V. 14). My wife has appropriated the laptop for her own use because her Acer laptop died two years ago and I haven't taken it apart to clean the fans and otherwise "fix" it. The old Acer powers up and runs great if I leave it outside in below-freezing temperatures, but it quits as soon as it warms up inside. Cleaning the gunk out of it will probably make it all better and I will get "my" laptop back as soon as I remember where I misplaced my round tuit.

It seems a shame for her to use the H-P laptop to play Farmville on all day and to surf the web, but I prefer my desktop XP machines to the Windows 7 laptop anyway. Bigger screen with more resolution. We took the laptop with us on vacation two weeks ago. It worked great for displaying Netflix videos on the hotel room TV using an HDMI cable and the hotel wideband wireless connection! However, my wife forgot to pack the Bluetooth wireless mouse so it was useless for running Alibre Design. Also, Windows 7 seems determined to prevent me from doing things that I do routinely in XP Pro. Like, sharing the root of the C: drive (are you SURE you want to do this?!) didn't make it accessible over the wireless home network with my desktop PC. I had to transfer files with a thumb drive!

Anyhoo... Alibre 2012 installed without a hitch on all three machines, with automagical license renewal/upgrade/whatever. Good job on this new release, software wookies.

And, thanks to Ralf, I even got NPT threaded holes to work.

I like the new ribbon user interface and the ability to make it hide with just a mouse click. I also like the context-sensitive menus that get attached to the cursor, although I must confess I haven't learned how to dismiss them yet. There are so many bells and whistles to learn with AD 2012 that I probably will never get caught up. I think I like the new surfacing interface, even though I don't know how to use it. Maybe I need MoI 3D to take full advantage of surfacing?

Max:

Can I still purchase MoI 3d through Alibre? I recall it was offered for half-price in December of last year, but I ignored the opportunity to purchase it then, not really knowing how I could benefit from using it. MoI 3D now sells (V2.0) for $295 direct from MoI, or $100 for the upgrade from V1.0 that I failed to buy. Will it be an integrated add-on or just another third party software? If I can purchase MoI 3D through Alibre, will updates be included in my maintenance?

Um, when does 3D Systems plan to announce it will acquire MoI 3D? :mrgreen:

Hop

smdub

So to be clear: Alibre Expert users still have to buy MoI? The upgrade just allows importing the surfaces? It sort of sounds like its included on the website but I don't see a way to launch it in 2012

Max

Administrator
Staff member
If you've bought Expert since we started including MoI, you do not have to purchase it separately.
If you didn't, you will need to.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
smdub said:
So to be clear: Alibre Expert users still have to buy MoI? The upgrade just allows importing the surfaces? It sort of sounds like its included on the website but I don't see a way to launch it in 2012

MoI is completely separate to Alibre. You'll have to download it it from your downloads page and install it.