What's new

GM Version 16?

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Michael.Mock said:
... The display in the license utility is hard coded in; while the license definition is not; it's a bit of a mis-match. You can see what is included in Elements and Design Full here: http://www.alibre.com/products/mainpage.asp

Design (not full) does not include Dynamics (Motion 2.0).

Whatever third party addons you might have are unchanged. Whatsoever.

Micheal,
I always thought that Alibre Expert was the same as Design. But to clarify, now the difference between Design and Design Full is only to distinguish between those who did or did not have Dynamics before the 3DS license update?

When I check my Account Info on the Alibre.com site my Products are: Geomagic Design Expert 15.0, plus: DesignCheck, Alibre Motion, PhotoRender Industrial, ModelPress, FreeMill, SprutCAM, Local Repository, Machinist Toolbox, Engineers Toolbox, Online Training, HyperShot Web, KeyShot for Alibre Basic

I take it then that since I didn't "buy" Dynamics previously it is not available to me except through a separate purchase?

Harold, you are correct. Due to royalty costs, we cannot provide Dynamics (Motion 2.0) to all users who had Expert (Motion 1.0). I remember this discussion last year when it was released.
That's not a great outcome, but I believe it was better than no motion analysis upgrade at all.

The core difference, especially in Geomagic licensing, between Geomagic Design (GD) and Geomagic Design Full (GDF) is Dynamics. It's the only component with our name on it that I can't just give away.
Overall, GDF is what is sold today, and includes other apps like KeyShot, Vault, and MoI. But they aren't controlled by Design itself; they have some other license mechanisms.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Michael Please answer my question:
NateLiqGrav said:
The important question I have is what happens to subscription prices for all those who just got upgraded to a new level? Did their subscription price just raise too?

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I had Dynamics before 'the change' i.e. I had Design Full. A few days ago I queried my license status and was informed that I did not have Dynamics. Support is sorting this out so all's well that ends well but it is possible to slip through the cracks.

My point? Double check!!

So far the GD support guys have been absolute super stars. They're really on the ball. I have no complaints about the support service. Keep it up, chaps!! :D

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Some good news for once about v16 - the improved helical tool has just allowed me to model a screw element for a twin screw extruder very simply by setting the helix axis perpendicular to the sketch plane. In the past the only way was with multiple lofts which took ages and was a nightmare to edit.

Attachments

• Twin Screw Element.jpg
    Twin Screw Element.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 7

normc

bigseb said:
I had Dynamics before 'the change' i.e. I had Design Full. A few days ago I queried my license status and was informed that I did not have Dynamics. Support is sorting this out so all's well that ends well but it is possible to slip through the cracks.

My point? Double check!!

So far the GD support guys have been absolute super stars. They're really on the ball. I have no complaints about the support service. Keep it up, chaps!! :D
Bigseb,

Did Dynamics come with your subscription or did you buy it separately? I bought Dynamics separately and my license shows as just Design.

JL82

Are there other difference between Design and Design full?

Can GD Full includes other addons without paying extra in future? Are the price of the subscription higher in Design full?
Can I will update my license to Full paying extra?

bemfarmer

bigseb said:

My point? Double check!!

So how do I check my (paid for before the change) Dynamics license status?
Right now I guess I have about 8 days left on Simulate trial. Had to uninstall Dynamics to install (unpaid for) Simulate.

- Brian

IKRAJ

HI,
I was wondering if someone can help me with the new upgrade to v16.
I just don't want to end up with a non working system for a temporary period due to an installation mistake.

I have Geomagic Design (FULL) and Simulate. I noticed that Simulate had an upgrade on the 13th so I need to upgrade both apps.

Do you delete both files and then install GD enter the new license code and then install Simulate, or is there another process to do it?

For those of you that have done the upgrade and you have it working I would appreciate your help.

The email that Geomagic sent is not too clear and I don't want to make a mistake.

Thanking you,
Isaac

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Isaac,

Uninstall the current software; re-boot (just to be sure); install new versions (you may be prompted to re-boot a again); activate licence.

Like the e-mail from Geomagic said - use only installers from the new download resource, not the old alibre.com site.

If things do go wrong it is possible to revert to v2014 - just uninstall v16 and re-install v2014.

IKRAJ

David,

I appreciate your help.
I was going to follow the same procedures except for the reboot, and after thinking about it it does make sense to reboot after uninstalling the older versions.

BTW, thanks a million for sending me the requested file.
I am sure it will help me solve the issues I have.

Isaac

PPi

Is it just me or is this update just as bloody confusing as it was year ago? First of all, if I wasn’t reading the forum I wouldn’t know that v16 is supposed to be available at all! All my GM does now is saying “Your software is up to date”!

Where the heck you get these e-mails? I have triple-checked both my spam folder and inbox and I can find no darn announcement about v16 download nor licensing. I have only e-mail “Announcing exciting new features including printability and direct scan integration with Sense™”.

My account info states at alibre.com that “Subscription Service Expiration Date: 4/4/2015” that is ok, since I’ve recently paid for renewal. “Upgrade to newer version” only advices to click “Download tab” and navigating thru _3dsystems_ website takes to “old” Alibre site.

Man, this is frustrating as it seems that you always have to dig and sweat to extract the information that should be obvious to customers.

Michael said:
My name is Michael, I work for 3D Systems, and I'd like to share some information with everyone on this thread.
You have no idea how good it did feel while reading this!

Next major release probably around December 2014; but obviously it's very early on, and may change. We aren't at a point where I can really talk about new features; and it is generally frowned upon (public company, future looking statements, have to be careful).
Understood, this is the common policy. However, I hope there will be also /minor/ releases, bug fixes etc. Otherwise this feels like a bit too long update cycle, as it now have been. Shredding some light about plans from time to time would be nice though.

As for the direction and 3D Printing; it shouldn't really surprise everyone that 3D Printing is a part of the direction here. 3D Systems is one of the inventors of the technology, and we are passionate about getting it into as many hands a possible. This puts Design users in an interesting position. Not only do we want a 3D Printer on every engineers desk at work to test out a concept; we also want one in every garage or hobby room.
3D Printing, as we envision it, is about breaking barriers. You should be able to hold your design in you hand and test it within a couple hours; not wait/work for days.
The Mechanical CAD and 2D Drawings won't go away though. They aren't exactly new and dynamic technologies, but there are always improvements to make.
This is both good and bad news. Initially I was a little bit worried about which direction 3D Systems will take (Alibre) Design. By all means, I’m sort of curious to see what you can add to the software. But this software was selected for mechanical engineering to design machines and all sorts of other structures. No 3D printing here. Now I’m starting to think that e.g. poor 2D capabilities (I use another product for this) will never improve, sheet metal section is never needed in 3D printing industry thus gets forgotten, better BOM managing will never be here (I still can’t have more than one BOM per drawing!) et cetera. What I’m saying here is that please do not forget those users who may not require 3D printing capabilities – perhaps they may in future but losing them now may not bring them back!

Cheers!

kev h

Old alibre site isn't going to be updated any more , all new licensing system and the check for updates from the splash screen is only good up to v15.

Also are you on maintenance? As i think you need to be to get the latest update and the activation email that goes with it .

Cheers Kev :cool:

PPi

Like I said above, all roads seem to take you to the "old" Alibre site, even from 3dsystems.com and I’ve previously paid for renewal that seems to be updated to alibre site, stating under my account “Subscription Service Expiration Date: 4/4/2015”.

Guess I'll need to ask my local representative about this.

P.S. Is there an user account of any kind at 3dsystems website like at alibre.com? I can't recall using any login nor I can find one...

bigseb

Alibre Super User
normc said:
bigseb said:

My point? Double check!!

Bigseb,

Did Dynamics come with your subscription or did you buy it separately? I bought Dynamics separately and my license shows as just Design.
I think we all got it separately...

bigseb

Alibre Super User
DavidJ said:
Some good news for once about v16 - the improved helical tool has just allowed me to model a screw element for a twin screw extruder very simply by setting the helix axis perpendicular to the sketch plane. In the past the only way was with multiple lofts which took ages and was a nightmare to edit.

THIS is the headline!!! :D

jimp

Just wondering if anyone has had any contact with Tech Support? Left a message 3 working day ago with a simple question and no reply.
TS isn't the best anymore consider what we pay in maintenance.