Votes: 59 90.8%
  • Larger releases every 5-8 months.

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • I don't like releases, and also dislike apple pie and puppies

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I prefer smaller, more frequent releases.

I love apple pie.

I dislike all animals, not just puppies. Cats and horses are the worst.

swertel

Alibre Super User
I like smaller more frequent updates as long as the updates are pushed out. If I have to manually download every update, or uninstall previous versions, I don't want that administrative hassle every month.

Idahoan

My vote is also for smaller more frequent releases; it is really nice to see the software being supported and improved again.
Also, thanks for asking for our input, its nice to see the users opinions are valued.

Dave

swertel

Alibre Super User
Sorry, I thought it said CATS, not PUPPIES (it is the internet, after all).

Just kidding, it wasn't me. Unless, of course, it actually did say cats.

Max, you have my list of needed improvements to Constraints. These is no way such an implementation falls into the small category. They need to be designed and implemented as a fully developed, implemented, and polished system of improvements. That is why I hesitate to unconditionally support the small and often approach. Certain things take more effort and time.

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
Max, you have my list of needed improvements to Constraints. These is no way such an implementation falls into the small category. They need to be designed and implemented as a fully developed, implemented, and polished system of improvements. That is why I hesitate to unconditionally support the small and often approach. Certain things take more effort and time.

+1

Rob Davis

Alibre is very good without any updates - no improvements for years when it was with 3D Systems but that did not stop me using and enjoying the software.

In my opinion updates are more about Marketing - giving potential uses and resellers the comfort that the software is being developed (that is not abandoned).

The problem in the 3D System years was the increasing fear that it was being abandoned:confused:

Thank you Max and others for the rescue.

Updates carry some risk and collaborating colleagues also have to update - not so easy in a large user environment where IT have to execute the update and outside contractors also have to update.

A yearly update is preferred by me.

That is why am 1 of 2 who voted Larger releases every 5-8 months:)

swertel

Alibre Super User
An Agile software development and release approach does not mean large, thought-out developments won't occur.
Instead of having 1 major release per year with all the new enhancements and a maintenance pack every month to fix bugs, you get an update every 2 months (or whatever Alibre chooses to set their scrums at) that includes new features as well as bug fixes.
The large, thought out developments still happen behind the scenes and are released when they're ready instead of having to wait for the annual cycle.

What if that big enhancement just barely missed the annual release cycle? You'd have to wait another year to get it. With the Agile method, you get it sooner as long as there are no 4 legged felines on the QA team.

What if that big enhancement just barely missed the annual release cycle? You'd have to wait another year to get it. With the Agile method, you get it sooner as long as there are no 4 legged felines on the QA team.
Updates are needed when needed and not to some arbitrary "schedule." This is the reason I opposed the change from "VXX" to "VYYYY" that occurred to avoid the "V13" update/release way back when!

swertel

Alibre Super User
Updates to fix bugs are needed when needed and don't require a schedule. None the less, as a CAD administrator, I like knowing how much of my time is needed to support changes to the software. Having my software provider release updates on a regular schedule makes my job easier.

New features are rolled out on a schedule so supporting (Alibre, LLC) departments like marketing, sales, support, etc., can plan for the new features. I doubt it is arbitrary.

JST

Alibre Super User
I "get it" about predictability....

What about a system where the minor releases either do or do not come every 2 months, for instance. I picked that because it seems to be about that long since the last one.

Obviously any important bug fixes can be sooner, since everyone will want them.

Then big releases can come on any of those standard times in place of a little one.

"If yah got it, ship it". If it is not ready, you don't.