What's new

New Alibre 2011

icimasa

HI, I'm just wondering when the new Alibre 2011 will be available for download??

It says on the intro at the end, get it now.. :) But where....

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
The Beta version is available now if you join the beta programme - the final version will be released when it's ready. My own guess is that we may have to wait a few weeks yet, this seems to match what is said in the September newsletter.

lukasz

DavidJ said:
The Beta version is available now if you join the beta programme - the final version will be released when it's ready.
I like this answer very much, now we know very precisely when we could expect new release... :twisted:

Regards
Lukasz

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
... but I must admit that I don't know the precise definition of 'ready' in this context!

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Ha. Go work in software development for a bit so we can ask you the exact date your enormous product will be ready :lol:

It will be ready around the end of September plus or minus around a week. It depends on how our final "endurance testing" goes, where we all get together and pound on on the product for days and see how we feel about it at that time. If all is good, we release. If it's not, we fix whatever the issues are that we consider to be so severe that we can't release.

lukasz

Hello Max,

I was wondering when you will find this post... :lol:

I use Alibre since version 8.2 was released and to be honest I think Alibe Team has done huge work to improve this software (especially in 3D environment). But what I am waiting for is to increase 2D productivity (I'm dreaming about partial section view).
I'm in touch with Polish reseller and I gave them a few suggestions.

So... I would like to kindly ask you to keep going with development and I promise to patiently wait for new version.

Sincerly,
Lukasz

PS. I'm working in machine industry and I've the same problems with project timing... would you like to try? :lol:

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Lukasz,

Great to hear you think we've done so much in the last few releases. 2011 should provide some pretty big productivity boosts in 2D. More to come later in newer versions - this is only the beginning.

PS. I'm working in machine industry and I've the same problems with project timing... would you like to try? :lol:
No way! I'm sure the factory would be in flames within an hour ;) I do like fire though...

Hop

Okay, here it is the end of September, winter right around the corner. Time to go clean up the sawdust in the woodworking shop, wipe down the Shopsmith with some Johnson paste wax, figure out what wood to butcher for a winter project, re-stack and re-sticker a few hundred board feet of yellow poplar and red oak S2S boards (random lengths and widths) that have been "aclimatizing" for about thirty years.

Oh yeah, install the Alibre Design 2011 new version. Heck, I ain't figured out all the stuff in V12.1 Expert yet. Or even downloaded the latest version that adds some sort of native export format for some new third-party rendering engine.

Maybe I will download and install V2011 as a "Christmas present" to me. By then all the wizards in this Forum will have posted where the bugs are, have workarounds, and maybe Alibre will even have posted updated releases. Sounds like a Plan to me. So take your time, Max, and make this next release a really big shew. And a big thanks to all you Beta testers out there (you know who you are!) on the bleeding edge helping to smooth off the rough corners. If I was a little younger I would have joined you!

Okay. I'm excited now. Where is it? 8)

Hop

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Slight delay. During the last week of testing we identified some discreet, isolated issues that require fixing. We've also taking a little extra time to fix some older bugs. We hope to have it out shortly - everything is looking good so far.

kev h

Okay. I'm excited now. Where is it?

I got excited loadin MS Live essentials 2011 last night , so you can imagine what i'll be like with Alibre 2011 :D :wink:

Cheers Kev 8)

Hop

Max said:
... <snip> We've also taking a little extra time to fix some older bugs. ... <snip>

Gasp! Older bugs?! :shock: You mean my V12.1 still has unexterminated bugs? :cry:

I visited the Confirmed Bugs topic in the Using Alibre Design forum, but what they are talking about there is way beyond where I am at now. I guess what I don't know that I don't know won't hurt me... yet. Whatever these "confirmed bugs" are, hopefully they will all be eradicated in V2011. :wink:

Hop

kev h

Hi Max

Have just upgraded to Win7 at home and was wondering if Alibre 2011 is gettin very close and worth waiting a few more days till installing new alibre or just reload v12.1 ??

Also when 2011 is released is it just a matter of using old License Keys once installed program?

Cheers Kev 8)

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Kev - when updating to new version the licence key stuff is usually very smooth.

After you choose 'upgrade to newer version' on the Alibre web site your download page is redirected to the new installer and the Alibre licence server knows your status - next time you launch Alibre you may notice a message that your licence key has been updated (as long as you don't have the 'do not check ....' box ticked).

After uninstalling current version and installing new, everything should work smoothly.

If the PC hasn't had Alibre on it previously, you'll need to fill in username/password during the install to get a licence (assuming you have one spare).

As hinted above the only obvious cause of difficulties is if you have 'do not check....' ticked, or your firewall prevents the check.

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
Well, I suspect he might need to re-register it.
But it depends how he installed the new OS.
If it's upgrade, then it doesn't usually need to re-do the registration, I suppose.
But if it's the complete new installation from scratch, which I cannot tell only via his post, he may have to re-register.

Let's see what happens.
And as you say, it does not take time to do it.

Admin may answer the query... :?

kev h

Thanks for replies :)

It was a custom (clean , kind of.. ) install not an upgrade but not a complete format of hard drive either as a few helpful files are kept plus windows.old file. No programs kept though.

Not really sure if any alibre settings have been kept , Onecnc settings surprisingly are all in tack as soon as prog is installed.

No woories guys only curious , am sure it will go thru smoothly once its here. :)

Cheers Kev 8)

klwill

My first ever attempt at an Alibre dwg file printout.

Loaded the 2011 beta and created a single part/asm then a dwg file from the asm.
The dwg file would not print. It hung my HP wide carriage printer until I purged the spool. This happened at least 4 times yesterday.

I uninstalled 2011, reinstalled 12.1 and was able to print a different single part dwg file.
Is this a problem with the 2011 beta or am I missing something?

Adam_N

Ken,

It sounds like you are having issues with your printer driver rather than Alibre. Try adjusting parameters on your printer and see if it starts working. I had a similar problem with Solid Edge and a HP-4V printer. It took a while but I got it to work.

Adam