What's new

New Alibre 2011

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
MarcusWolschon said:
Seems the "Free Upgrade to AD 2011 & free training videos for any AD version" did mean "any AD version" but not any "AD customer".

??? Sorry - I have no idea to what you are referring...

swertel

Alibre Super User
DavidJ said:
Seems the "Free Upgrade to AD 2011 & free training videos for any AD version" did mean "any AD version" but not any "AD customer".
That is correct. Alibre is not giving away free software. You have to be on maintenance to get the upgrade or buy the new version.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Scott - please be more careful with your use of quotes. I was not the originator of that line. I had already pointed out the need for maintenance earlier - I was puzzled by the reference to free video training. I do have active maintenance and haven't seen any offer of free training...

MarcusWolschon

DavidJ said:
MarcusWolschon said:

??? Sorry - I have no idea to what you are referring...

I just misinterpreted a press-release on the website.
No need to elaborate on that further.
The other 2 points remain.

Any idea where they have hidden the 2011-SDK this time? I was not on that website for a few month and I can't even find the 12.x -SDK anymore.
I'm hoping to find that it is more complete then the old one (lofts, direct creation and manipulation of solid shapes, read and write more formats then ACIS, proper documentation of the underlying object model,...).

Bowber

Why do we have to uninstall V12 to install 2011?
Then why do we have to uninstall the first release of 2011 to install the bug fixed version? I presume this will continue for the next bug fix as well?
It's like going back to windows 3.1, Or is there a problem with my install?

Steve

A

Anonymous

Bowber said:
Why do we have to uninstall V12 to install 2011?
Then why do we have to uninstall the first release of 2011 to install the bug fixed version? I presume this will continue for the next bug fix as well?
It's like going back to windows 3.1, Or is there a problem with my install?

Steve
We have had upgrade installs in the past but found that it is safer to fully uninstall then reinstall. This method is the best way to avoid problems during install. The process should take the same amount of time in either scenario.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
We are also testing a new upgrade mechanism - the one we had in the past was homegrown and didn't work well. The new one should work much better.

We will likely make it available shortly when we release the final build (56) of 2011 in the next day or so. However, the patch will only patch build 55 or later to 56 (and other versions moving forward), so most people will probably just need to do a full uninstall/reinstall.

Moving forward it is our intention to provide upgrade patch mechanisms rather than requiring a full uninstall/reinstall. Depending on the changes in the product, it might occasionally be required to do a full uninstall/reinstall, for example when new prerequisites or other fundamental changes are made that are not conducive to patching.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Obviously they are not the beta. They all fix some issues that users wanted to be fixed ASAP so we put out the intermediate builds to address those things ASAP. 56 will be the final of such builds.

Max

Bowber

Ok thanks for letting us know.
I'll miss out 55 then and install 56, as I'm mainly a hobby user I've not used it enough to find the issues yet but now the nights are drawing in I'll be getting back to designing my parts.

Steve