What's new

Post Processors for Atom3D or Should I Update to the CNC Versioning?

silver2row

Hello,

I found myself in the mix. This mix pertains to an Acorn CNC and router configuration of my PC. Does the Atom 3D source come with post processing or should I update to the CNC Version?

Seth

P.S. I would like to have Centroid Post Processing but I am probably reaching out on a limb here... If anyone has any recommendations, please jump in and let me know.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Talk to Sales or your local reseller as appropriate - you should be able to add MeshCAM Pro to your Atom3D to make it equivalent to Workshop.

MeshCAM does include POSTs for Centroid.

silver2row

It does! nice...Just to make sure, I would need it for Lathe work and/or router work. So, MeshCAM DOES include POSTs for Centroid and that means "does" and not "does not," right?

Seth

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
MeshCAM is a milling package - it is not intended for lathe work.

I thought the information provided was clear - but here is a list of POST file taken from my installation of MeshCAM9 (build 46).

Attachments

• POSTs.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 3

silver2row

Okay. Thank you for making me understand...

As one can tell, I am highly uninformed on these subjects. It was clear and it is still clear. The data provided is clear. I will research MeshCAM.

Seth

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member

silver2row

Thank you again for your replies... I will review the ideas available and see whatever I can accumulate in time that will hopefully be worthwhile.

Seth

For instance, I will need 2D, 3D, and lathe but I understand now that the CAM source is not lathe related.

silver2row

Hello @JimCad ,

No, my lathe is not a complicated one as of now. It is a miniature lathe with an Acorn CNC on it.

Seth

P.S. Thank you for asking.

JimCad

Does it have any "canned cycles" ?
Rough & finish turning, threading etc?
If not I can understand the need for post processing.
If you have them it's fairly straight forward to write the programs yourself.
Jim

silver2row

Yeppers, I can interior thread and externally thread. I am just learning. So, this will be a good way for me to spend time learning.

Seth

P.S. I am not sure if setting up programs without processing is available...

JimCad

Just looked online.
Watched a Turning video.
Acorn software looks good on first inspection.
Is it a sensible price?
Although the treading looked like a straight plunge so cutting both sides of the tool. Don't know if it can follow the flank angle like a G76 does?????
Long time since I did any CNC turning (2006) on a Fanuc OT :)

Jim

JimCad

You should be fine then if you have their software.
Same as everything else. . . . . . familiarity is your friend.
You just have to keep doing it.
I have a lathe in my garage. I'm almost tempted but probably best if I don't. ;):)

Jim

Cator

Thank you again for your replies... I will review the ideas available and see whatever I can accumulate in time that will hopefully be worthwhile.

Seth

For instance, I will need 2D, 3D, and lathe but I understand now that the CAM source is not lathe related.
https://www.grblgru.com/

If you have the time and desire, this software is truly excellent for what you are looking for.
You have a special setup for the lathe too and you can generate the G-Code and import it to your controller. I recommend you try it, and watch its videos, you might find a great companion for your work.
Regards,
Francesco

silver2row

Just looked online.
Watched a Turning video.
Acorn software looks good on first inspection.
Is it a sensible price?
Although the treading looked like a straight plunge so cutting both sides of the tool. Don't know if it can follow the flank angle like a G76 does?????
Long time since I did any CNC turning (2006) on a Fanuc OT :)

Jim

It is reasonably priced with board and source. The source is easy once learned but I still need to understand positioning and accounting for starts and stops.

And then, I need to also understand the tool, how far the tool will travel, and so on.

Seth

silver2row

Hello,

I was thinking of purchasing just the add-on but I am going to purchase the entire Workshop edition for another computer.

Seth

P.S. I think I have done the correct research and can ultimately just get this set up for future use.