What's new

Search results

1. D

How to put multiple configurations of a part, each in its own row in a BOM?

David, thank you very much for your response, which I am still trying to digest. I was trying to expand the drawing that I inserted above, but managed to destroy it. I remade it in a slightly more complicated way, and discovered when I inserted the BOM that a flaw was revealed in my method...
  2. D

DavidJ David, after completing a career as a mechanical engineer doing machine and equipment design, among other things, I think that I know what a bill of materials is. Further, after spending years working as a contractor for quite a few companies, I can tell you that there seems to be endless...
  3. D

I have a post ready to share, but I would like to include a drawing view. I haven't figured out how to do that. How is that done. Thanks. Dave
  4. D

David, thanks for your input. I have worked on this since Friday and it hasn't been easy, but I have learned enough to report my findings. I reread the Alibre Help article on configurations in a BOM, and it really isn't much help. I started out by making a test assembly with two configurations...
  5. D

I have a subassembly which includes a part with two configurations. The only difference between subassembly configurations is in the hole pattern in that one part. The subassembly is inserted (7) times in an assembly, (4) times with one configuration and (3) times with the other. When I insert a...
  6. D

Setting center mark size

Harold, thanks for the tip. I searched both Alibre Help and the Forum without results. Maybe I didn't use the right search terms. Also, I have read through all 741 pages of the Alibre+ Design Digital Book pdf that was available on the Alibre website without encountering the Right Click/Edit...
  7. D

Setting center mark size

Harold, you speak as if there is another way to set center mark size. Is there? The setting shown above in File Properties/Annotations seems to be a one-size-fits-all setting, and when you click on Apply, the whole drawing appears to be updated to the new setting. For flexibility and for...
  8. D

Setting center mark size

Is there a way to set the center mark size when detailing in v25? Dave
  9. D

How to insert an existing part file into a new template with new settings?

Harold, I believe that you have answered the basic question. Knowing that the drawing template can be changed and the settings updated helps. I don't think that even the last version of SolidWorks that I used (2011) had the capability about which I was inquiring, but it doesn't hurt to ask...
  10. D

Well, that failed. There is no "Copy with Base Point" in the part mode, and trying to copy and paste the design tree of one part into a new one built on a different template didn't work. So I suppose that what I want to do probably can't be done. Does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks. Dave
  11. D

Albie, just as an example, under Design/File Properties (v25) there are quite a few settings under Units and Dimensions, not that all of them need to be edited. But it is time consuming to have to go through and update each and every file to try and achieve uniformity. I haven't tried it yet...
  12. D

David, in order to be efficient and only have to do things once I open new part, sheet metal part, assembly, and drawing files and then set all of the System Options, Design Properties, dimension settings, etc., that I care about, and then save those files, empty of any design content, as...
  13. D

Is there a way to substitute a new template (with different System Options, Design Properties, dimension settings, etc.) for one in an existing part or assembly file? Or to think about it differently, is there a way to copy an existing part or assembly into a new template with different...
  14. D

Toolbar icons in V26 are way too big (Fixed)

Hi Harold! Thanks for the tip. I bought v2019 and used it a lot at first. but then I didn't touch it for 2 - 3 years. Last November I upgraded and have been using v25. Just last week I finally learned how to get v26 running under Windows 7. As I mentioned in a post on the Using Alibre...
  15. D

Toolbar icons in V26 are way too big (Fixed)

The "Small" toolbar icons in v26 are still too big! The v26 icons are about 20 - 25% bigger than those in v25. I for one, do not like it when faceless nameless programmers take it upon thenselves to wreck the investment in time and money that I have put into a piece of software without notice...
  16. D

A Small Complaint

Bob, I just had this exact problem. Go to the Forum, Using Alibre Design, and then down to the 7th item: Where are toolbar button menu files stored? See if the discussion there will help. Regards, Dave
  17. D

How to save a part when the first character in a path folder name is an integer

Stefan and Simon, thanks for the help: the "magic r" did the trick! And you are right Simon: among the errors that I got for the various things that I tried was "unexpected token 'D' ". Thanks, again! Regards, Dave
  18. D

Stefan, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I can't open the part file that you sent. I have both v25 and v26 running under Windows 7 Pro, but I don't know if Windows 7 is the problem, or not. Anyway, I take it that you were able to save a part to folder with a name starting with a number...
  19. D

This is probably simple but I haven't been able to figure out how to save an Alibre part file when a sub-directory name starts with a number. The path includes a folder with this name: . . . \3D CAD\ . . . , which produces an illegal character error. I have tried various things without...