What's new

Search results

1. A

KeyShot Going to Subscription - Oh Boy!

I simply refuse to pay for subscription software. I still use old copies of Lotus and Wordperfect on CD-Rom for word processing. They work fine. Why pay Microsoft money every month when I can get replacement disks on Ebay for very little money? Even if I didn't pay for maintenance, my copies of...
  2. A

Plasticity 3d - The new kid in the block

I like its features a lot having tried the free trial, but I'm mentally stuck in the Win 95 era and still use the File/Edit/View command menus. I can still activate those on Alibre, but can't in Plasticity. This made me think of my Blender days and the learning curve just figuring out the...
  3. A

Creating a hull from a table of offsets?

Just curious is there is a way in Alibre to create a ship's hull from a table of offsets? Perhaps using the Excel spreadsheet function? Are there any tutorials available? Many thanks, Robert
  4. A

Future updates to Alibre?

Apologies if this is the wrong forum section. My Maintenance is about to expire, or actually already has, and before I re-up I'm wondering if there's any news on updates to the program in the near future? Is there anything that is definitely coming within the year? Many thanks, Bob
  5. A

Plasticity 3d - The new kid in the block

I already use Alibre and Moment of Inspiration. What would Plasticity offer that my two existing programs don't offer? I'm trying to figure out if there's a glaring need for it. Many thanks!
  6. A

Amount of Ram?

Currently using a Ryzen system with 64 gigs of RAM, but that's overkill. Realistically, a good cpu and 16/32 gigs should be just fine.
  7. A

Importing STL Files

Cadexchanger can usually do the job. Usually,.
  8. A

Looking for a home 3D scanner.

Good Sunday, all! I'm looking for a reasonably priced home 3D scanner and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or suggestions. I've got an HP Z 3D scan camera but its never worked right. I got it on a super steep sale two years ago so I'm not complaining about that, but having something that...
  9. A

"Non planar face" that is actually quite flat problem...

PS. Apologies if I'm missing something obvious. I'm self taught and I do CAD work on the side as a diversion and for a few extra bucks. My real job is teaching high school history and economics, so its likely that the mistake is simply something rather obvious and dumb on my end. Thank you...
  10. A

"If I understand you correctly, it's not that you can't extrude boss or cut etc. but rather that you are unable to select the faces in order to place a new sketch onto them - the resulting downstream feature doesn't matter if you can't create a sketch in the first place." Yes and no. Sometimes...
  11. A

They're flat solids in MOI. So, a rectangle, or a square. In obj, step, sat, and 3dm, they show up as flat surfaces. This is also true when I import these designs into Fusion or my personal copy of Netfabb, for example. So yes, they're flat. If its a decimal point issue, as you suggest, then...
  12. A

Good evening all, I'm hoping that someone can help with this. I frequently design parts in Moment of Inspiration and then import them into Alibre at STEP, SAT, of 3DM files. They tend to import just fine, no missing faces or anything like that. However, when I try to extrude off of or into the...
  13. A

Making Alibre respond faster post V23-update

My point was that my rig is more than capable of running Alibre and it has slowed down considerably since the update.
  14. A

Making Alibre respond faster post V23-update

Hi all, Is there a way to speed up the program? I mean, since the updates the performance if Alibre is downright Post Office-esque. It will take over ten seconds for the Boolean Unite dialogue to come up after its selected, for example, let alone work. Project to Sketch takes up to fifteen...
  15. A

A little preview :D

Maybe its there and I'm not understanding, but... I'd love it if the fillet/chamfer feature had a "MAX Fillet" and "MAX Chamfer" function, where when you click on an angle, the function would max out, telling you what the largest fillet or chamfer possible for that feature was. That would save...
  16. A

Copying a 3D sketch

Yes. The part is a STP import from Moment of Inspiration and very little is working properly with this import. Extrude Cuts operate as Extrude Bosses, and vice versa. Sweeps operate as Sweep Cuts, and vice versa. Oddly, many operations are literally reversed. A 2D sweep wouldn't work, but a 3D...
  17. A

Copying a 3D sketch

Hi, Yes, it is a 3D sketch. I'll try the script some more. When I activate it, a new window appears but the 3D line and/or part are not in it. Sorry for being such a pain. Bob
  18. A

Copying a 3D sketch

I'm using Alibre Design™ Professional Version: V22 64-bit [Build 22061]
  19. A

Copying a 3D sketch

Um - stammers and knows he will sound silly - because I don't know how? I've played with configurations and never quite gotten them to work. When I try to right click the Configurations line in the Design Explorer, the choices remain greyed out, the New Configuration option not being selectable...
  20. A

Copying a 3D sketch

Hi all, Is there a way to copy a 3D sketch? I've laid out a sweep, but for 3D printing purposes I'd like to print the sweep part separately from the main part, a Star Trek warp nacelle. However, I can't figure out how to copy the 3D sketch to be swept. I'd like to ultimately create the sweep in...