What's new

Flat part drawing orientation for laser cutting - RESOLVED

jordanyte

I have an assembly where several of the parts are oriented on different planes at odd angles - 5 deg and 17 degrees for example.

The entire assembly is to be fabricated from laser cut sheet stock, 4.5mm thick.

To generate the outputs that will drive the cutter, I must create 2D flat outlines of each part. When parts are made orthogonal to the workspace planes this is easy. But when they are at different angles, the Drawing workspace does not offer a means to select a view orientation that respects the part's own sketch reference plane.

How can I make a DXF export of the outline of a part if there's no drawing facility for using different reference planes?

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Alternatively more work but parametric:
Create auxiliary views until you get one at the correct angle. Then hide the views you don't need anymore.

jordanyte

Well thank you all! I would like to say that was easy (and I suppose it was).

I would also point out that having to create a "view" manually in the actual 3D model just to make a 2D outline drawing for a laser cutter is kinda ridiculous. I guess Altium are not the only software developers with strange product UI ideas.

Thank you all again. I very much appreciate it.

I LOVE ALIBRE, so to the Alibre team, please know that and don't be offended by my criticism. But also, please listen ;-)

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I think there was a post by Max stating the the Resolved function wasn't available for the forum. Try a search of Max's posts to see if you can find it.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I would also point out that having to create a "view" manually in the actual 3D model just to make a 2D outline drawing for a laser cutter is kinda ridiculous. I guess Altium are not the only software developers with strange product UI ideas.
How else do you tell the 2D package what your required perpendicular reference is of your 3D model? If the individual parts are drawn flat on standard planes, then just generate your 2D from the source part.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Thankyou Simon!
Your welcome! Its something that others use on other forums I use. It's a great way to see if someone has has the same issue than you and that there is a answer to it. Not sure what the mark as resolved functionality in this forum is supposed to do (or show), but I know it's not jmplemented from previous posts.