What's new

How to use a part surface as 2D drawing reference plane

jordanyte

I need to use 2D drawings to export outlines for CNC/Laser cutting.

Problem is many of the parts in the assembly do not align to any normal workspace reference plane. So how can I control the reference so that I have an accurate 2D drawing outline of the part, perpendicular to that part?

Here's an example assembly where I need to do this to be able to cut it with a laser:2020_05_07_18_58_28_VESA_MountAssy_Alibre_Design_Expert_V21.png

Each part is to be cut from sheet stock. Using 2D drawings and exporting DXF to directly drive the laser software is the easiest and most accurate approach I know but with assemblies like this one some of the parts are not producing clean outlines which are perpendicular to the reference sketch.

Is there a better method? I looked for a way to export the 2D sketches directly to DXF but then, I'll be missing features because multiple sketches are used for cutouts etc.

This is also infuriating. I cannot build this assembly on the cutter until I solve this issue. I'd HATE to have to export it to STEP and jump through some other program just to generate trustworthy part outlines.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
If each part is created on one of the default planes in its workspace then making a drawing and exporting a DXF should be easy. Are you attempting to output the parts in the orientation shown in assembly model?

dwc

Alibre Super User
I assume that each part is flat on its reference plane, they are then assembled at the required angle.
From the assembly, RMB on a part and do a "edit in separate window". Make your drawing of the part, export as dxf.
Do that on each part of the assembly and you are done.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Or make a new assembly (or even a new configuration of the existing one) - arrange (constrain) all the parts flat on one plane and with your best attempt at 'nesting'.

A drawing of that assembly can be exported to DXF.