What's new

Making 3D printable threads

BlackBird28

Hey Jason, maybe you should take a look @ Moi3D
there you can install a addon "Nuts n Bolts" and this make real thread geometry.
MoiV4_Nuts-Bolts.jpg

with Alibre Expert you can import this surfaces via copy&paste from Moi to Alibre and work with them.

Or "Boldfactory" for Rhino... (Solid Nurbs)
Rhino5.jpg
Blender also have some Bold-stuff as addon in the addonmanager.(Mesh Polygon)
Blender_bolt.jpg

bigseb

Alibre Super User
They are used all the time in 3D printing. Other popular CAD software has this feature. Terrible idea or not, why limit the CAD software?

a) As an engineer I wouldn't blindly rely on threads supplied by a software programmer. Don't assume that the people at Autodesk know what they're doing. Thread shapes are very precisely defined and I have yet to see a software that gets it right (have used in the past: Catia, Creo, Solidworks, Rhino and Powershape).

b) For 3D printing you have to modify your threads to allow for clearance. A preset thread won't fit when printed.

Reactions: dwc

VoxelClouds

Thought I would mention in passing that careful use of a tap and die set will put good quality, reliable threads into plastics.
Also in some cases screws actually designed to bite into plastic can be stronger and more reliable as the screw kind of functions as its own Tap & the thread profile is optimised for biting into plastic.
Where as typical machine thread optimisation of strength is intended for metal on metal binding. In as much, where that kind of strength is needed it maybe best to create a hexagonal pocket to insert a nut & lock it in place with a quick dab of superglue. this way you get the benefits of 3d printing & metal on metal fasteners (and none of the hassle every other way about it causes).
(i'd also say avoid push in thread inserts, when they give up the ghost they will spin on the spot endlessly)

Last edited:

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello colleagues,

has someone of you thought on garden equipment or chemical industry (search for "Threads pvc")? This is only an example, there are areas, where threads made out of plastic are simply standard and do not need any metal...

Regards
Stefan

MarcusWolschon

b) For 3D printing you have to modify your threads to allow for clearance. A preset thread won't fit when printed.

With resin 3d printing I am regularly designing M5 threads for a a tolerance class 11 interference fit to use a thread forming tool
or as an H11 clearance fit to use directly.

Being able to select standard threads including fits (aim for the center of the range without getting out the Machinery's Handbook)
and a diameter offset (for additional machining)
the way we select cosmetic threads would save a TON of time designing these as helical extrusions.

Ex Machina

One way you could make fully 3D printable threads that allow you to easily play with the tolerances of each one is to make a Library part of the negative of an external thread. That way, every time you need an external thread you can generate the appropriate size, locate the generated part correctly around the shaft to be threaded, and Boolean subtract it. I call that a Boolean Threading Die. That way you can have the correct 3D form quickly, and control over the tolerance of the thread. You can even control the tolerance of each one separately if you like. And it's almost as quick as having a dedicated tool for that.

I have even made a YouTube video about it which, if you'll allow me, I will shamelessly plug here. It's a bit long but I go through the design aspect and the library definition in detail. Let me know what you think of the method.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Like your video, and your channel. Have you posted any of your videos on the forum before? I don't recall seeing any of them. I recall someone posting a comment that we need more 'user' content on the forum and this may be a step in that direction.

I may create a channel to repost the videos that I have in the forum Tips and Tricks section, as was suggested when I posted them.

Ex Machina

Like your video, and your channel. Have you posted any of your videos on the forum before? I don't recall seeing any of them. I recall someone posting a comment that we need more 'user' content on the forum and this may be a step in that direction.

I may create a channel to repost the videos that I have in the forum Tips and Tricks section, as was suggested when I posted them.
Hey Harold. No, this is the first time I post one of my videos on this forum. I just thought this one was relevant. I've done a bit. And I have a link to my channel in my signature. But, I always thought that if people searched for something I've made a video about they'd find it.

But, the idea is to try and help people with Alibre and Parametric CAD in general. Very often I hear "Alibre can't do that" and people mean "I don't see a tool that I recognize to do it". It's completely understandable. People are trying to run businesses, get clients, make money, etc. Business pressure may make you try to jump right in without proper training or reading. So, I'm trying to make videos to help in those situations.

Thanks for saying you like my video and channel. I do spend some time on that and that means a lot. Thanks

Last edited:

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Looking at some of your videos I found the one on Variable Fillets to be an interesting way of using the Fillet tool. As well as the ones on Fill Patten and selecting hidden edges for chamfer and fillets.

Once in a while someone will comment that Alibre can't create a certain feature, sometimes it just comes down to learning how to use the tools available in ways they are not usually applied and you've demonstrated that.

You might consider posting your Alibre videos in the Tips and Tricks section.

Ex Machina

Looking at some of your videos I found the one on Variable Fillets to be an interesting way of using the Fillet tool. As well as the ones on Fill Patten and selecting hidden edges for chamfer and fillets.

Once in a while someone will comment that Alibre can't create a certain feature, sometimes it just comes down to learning how to use the tools available in ways they are not usually applied and you've demonstrated that.
Thanks man! That was exactly what I was trying to show.

Thanks for appreciating that effort.

gwbruce

I agree with Harold. I enjoy your videos very much and appreciate the effort. Keep up the good work. Your channel is my latest addition to my subscription list. By the way are you the same Ex Machina that shows up on the Too Tall Toby chats during the modeling competitions?

Ex Machina

Yeah, I love that series!!! I started practicing to take place but then life happened. Two large contracts came in the office and I couldn't find it in me to spend the extra time. But it is in my plans for next year. With Alibre, of course.

Not an easy competition. It is a very specific art to do speed modeling...

gwbruce

Yeah, I love that series!!! I started practicing to take place but then life happened. Two large contracts came in the office and I couldn't find it in me to spend the extra time. But it is in my plans for next year. With Alibre, of course.

Not an easy competition. It is a very specific art to do speed modeling...
I agree. I have been trying to do all of the practice models he has and as many of the monday contest too. Toying with the idea of giving it a go next year myself. Gotta get Alibre up there on the Leaderboard.

Ex Machina

I have subscribed too but my name shows up on youtube as Flypic.
Jim
Thanks, man! Much appreciated! Let me know what you think of my videos, good and bad. The good comments are the fuel to keep going and the bad ones are the road map to getting better.