What's new

New Alibre 2011

Andrew Roth

I upgraded my account but get the following message when I attempt to download.

Error
The following error has occurred:
Download not available.

Alibre Technical Support has been notified.

Clogged Server Perhaps?

jrupp

Ok, thanks, I was missing that. But now I went to download the new 32-bit version, and the link is broken. Something else I'm not aware of?

tglad1

JPower said:
so I installed Alibre 2011 x64 and when I opened Alibre for the first time I got the evil "Can't Find AlibreDesign_x64.msi" message. I extracted the original download file and pointed the installer to the AlibreDesign_x64.msi file and now i'm in an infinite loop, it told me to restart my computer, so I do but nothing seems to change... If I tell it not to restart my computer at the time, then the whole process starts over again... HELP ME! I have work to do! :?

I have the same problem with 2011 x32. I'm running Win XP Pro SP3. When I check my events list, it shows that ms installer can't be found, Alibre startup can't be found in All Users Start Menu. Anyone else suffering this?

Tony

JPower

I talked to tech support and they said to uninstall Alibre 2011 because they are still running tests. They said it's not "live" yet but will be sometime today. I'm guessing they're working out some kinks...

kev h

Hi quickly loaded at work before going home and have now loaded up at home which didnt have a previous version of Alibre on so had to request password .

10mins later password sorted , Great work you guys!!!! :D

Havent had much time to play yet but seems much snappier for starters especially going into sketch and selecting plane (always seemed to lag a bit at home before )

Cheers Kev 8)

elzaan1

64 Bit Power. Bit heavy section through the 4 x Off Loading Bins and took awhile but got it right, given that secctions is "heavy " stuff and also the update was to precision. - I used it for testing V2011 - 64 Bit. Totalling 2439 Parts of sheet metal & ussual parts.

Attachments

• 2439 Parts - 4 x sections.PNG
    2439 Parts - 4 x sections.PNG
    102.3 KB · Views: 133

tglad1

Just re-downloaded 2011 x32, did a new install, everything took off right this time. Now, if we could just get someone to fix the black cursor issue on a dark background again. I know, waaaah. I basically customized my whole color scheme to make it work.

Tony

DBC

Not sure why Standard users must be penalized with 32bit only.

"64-bit Alibre Design 2011 is only available for Professional and Expert level customers."

DBC

jim pulliam said:
For the same reason that Solid to Sheetmetal is only for Expert, $$$$$$.

I don't see why - isn't it just the same program with different things turned on or off for different versions? Isn't 32bit just old technology now? I can't imagine that they are writing a 32 bit program AND a 64 bit program. But, maybe they are.

I feel like I am always being forced to upgrade and I refuse for now. Microsoft isn't going to see me upgrade to Office 2010 because they don't offer upgrade pricing any longer. Adobe won't be seeing me upgrade to CS5 because their upgrade prices are just too high. Alibre won't be seeing me upgrade because it too is just to expensive to upgrade. I am not made out of money and I just have to draw the line somewhere. I (me and MC) 'had' to buy a new computer on Sunday because my old one was giving up the ghost so I bought a new 64bit one and now I am told that I have to upgrade Alibre if I want to use my computer as it was intended. Oy! New version releases are no big deal to me any longer - for the few frills one gets as extras the costs are just too prohibitive. (Wow, does this last paragraph ever sound like a rant by a disgruntled employee. Sorry! I guess if I really counted on Alibre for my daily bread I would have just taken the plunge and purchased the Expert version right from the start and would have paid it off by now.

I really do hope that Alibre 2011 bring much to those who use Alibre to earn their living.

Don
I didn't mean costing them, (Alibre), money, I meant making more money from us users.

I agree with your upgrade thoughts.

For what I have paid for maintenace and upgrades through the years I would have better off to just have waited and buy Expert now. Oh, thats right, take your loyal long term customers and charge them more because they have invested time in the product and will be willing to pay more because of the expense of jumping ship when they are disgrunteled. Give the new guys the deal and then hook them. Seems kinda like the Wireless carriers, new customers get the good deal and the old reliable customers pay out the *ss.

Sorry about ranting, it just makes me mad.

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
Just so you know, 32 bit Alibre should still run on 64 bit Windows.
DavidJ said:
Yes currently Alibre is only 32bit software - it will run on 64bit Windows, but only as 32 bit application.
Refering to Alibre 12.x

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10863&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=2011+32bit

OT

You could also castigate the users who are subsidized by your payments. Those not directly paying for the new features they get.

Without insider information it is hard to know if a user base segment (income) can cover every enhanced feature.

As an (apparently) small user segment myself, my concern is future development and stability of Alibre. My disposable income is almost nil, but I would spend a few more dollars every month and a small clump from time to time to obtain my goals and needs. Because I don't see it happening any other way, unless I play the Lotto.

I have had Alibre (and all other software) long enough to know "everyone" gets burned. Alibre just seems to try to spread the burn around as equitably as they can.

I can't say that about most. The question might be reduced to "the most bang for the buck" - I'm Buck.

MarcusWolschon

"Our records indicate your account is restricted from upgrading to a newer version of Alibre Design. "
Any idea why this could be?

Any info on the issue of using multicore processors? (The're The Standard even in the low price segment
where noone doing CAD would go.)

That 64bit is only for Expert and Pro is just plain wrong.
Standard-Customers can't even write plugins for 64bit this way because it's
impossible to test and thus to release them. You can use only a fraction
of the memory avaliable on the machine, all kinds of IO are limited by the
address space for memory-mapping,... It's just not state of the art anymore
since years.

toddho

A few posts back (Oct 25) it was stated the the Parts Library as well as Motion and CAM will not work with the 64bit version. Is this still the case? I can't seem to get either the Motion or the parts library to install. All I have is the Trace parts.

Thanks
Todd

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
MarcusWolschon said:
"Our records indicate your account is restricted from upgrading to a newer version of Alibre Design. "
You might get this message if your maintenance had expired - if you don't believe that to be the case, I suggest you speak to Alibre or your reseller to check - they are usually quick to fix any errors that have crept into the database.

MarcusWolschon

DavidJ said:
MarcusWolschon said:
You might get this message if your maintenance had expired - if you don't believe that to be the case, I suggest you speak to Alibre or your reseller to check - they are usually quick to fix any errors that have crept into the database.

I already got that by email last night. Seems the "Free Upgrade to AD 2011 & free training videos for any AD version" did mean "any AD version" but not any "AD customer". So no newer API to develop against for me. 700eur(Pro due to 64bit) is too expensive as 3d-printing and CAD are not my main job.