What's new

UI proposal - feedback requested

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
@Max, Any updates on dialogs?

Also, I think this is related to the ribbon and not dialogs but can a method be developed to add favorites or most used scripts to the Script ribbon and give them a one-click start?
Instead of repeating myself, here's a discussion on scripts in another post

VortexTD

Hey folks, we are beginning our UI overhaul. Almost none of this will be in v28 since we have a lot of overhaul to do and want to release it all simultaneously. However, before we put 6 months into this we want to be sure we're on the right track. So, here's our thoughts - let us know your feedback.

Paradigms
Currently our dialogs are all over the map, but they suffer a few common problems:
1. You can see info you can't use - think seeing a grayed out draft angle in the Extrude Boss dialog that you can't interact with until you click the checkmark.
2. Dialog flow is often wonky - some have 2 columns and you have to switch back and forth around the dialog to get what you want.
3. Spacing and styling has a lot of consistency problems

Our new paradigm aims to fix these issues. Let's jump into what it might look like:
View attachment 39724

From this you might notice a few things:
1. The flow is top to bottom.
2. You are not shown anything you cannot use - UI is exposed as you indicated you need more functionality. For example, if you click Draft, the Draft Angle checkbox is shown.
3. There is much more consistency with fonts, spacing
4. They are theme responsive.

From a higher level, these would be dockable in the work area - to the right hand side or to the right side of the Design Explorer. Or, you can drag them around and place them as you like, similar to what we have today.

We are considering some bits of customization, for example you might find the above examples to be easy on the eyes but you want things to be closer together - we might implement a "Compact Mode" that tightens the margins of the controls, for example, but we are unsure if people want things like that. Large dialogs will have a scroll bar, most likely.

Here are a few examples of some dialog mockups (we haven't coded this yet), some docked, some floating, in various states of expansion:

View attachment 39736

View attachment 39737

View attachment 39738

View attachment 39739

View attachment 39740

Let us know your thoughts and if there is anything else you can think of from a UI/UX perspective for this project that you think would make a positive impact.
Being a previous CATIAv5 user, I miss several things. 1) A graphic representation of assembly restraints. Sketches have it, but assemblies do not. 2) A manual control of mouse / space ball center. Catia allowed the user to select a feature and 3d rotate around it until another was chosen.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
2) A manual control of mouse / space ball center. Catia allowed the user to select a feature and 3d rotate around it until another was chosen.
You can add and set Rotation Points.

1699413510342.png

Also, If you are using a Space Mouse you can click the Windows mouse to start a rotation then use the Space Mouse to rotate about the point you clicked with the Windows mouse. Kind of a kludge when using the default mouse settings but I have change mine to use the Right mouse button for rotating the view rather than using both right and left mouse buttons together. I find that is much, much easier to coordinate.

MilesH

Alibre Super User
2) A manual control of mouse / space ball center. Catia allowed the user to select a feature and 3d rotate around it until another was chosen.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++!!!
See posts on:

3DPrince

My suggestion is to ensure each tool that is selected is highlighed until another is selected.
At the moment on the "2D Sketch" tab/Sketch Figures: The only tools which are highlighted when selected are the "Line", "Rectangle" and "Circle".
Others such as "Arc", "Tangent Arc", "Ellipse" and References: "Line" and "Circle" remain the current tool once selected, but are not highlighted.
I am using Atom 3D - I presume Design is the same.
Eric.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Some thoughts on UI changes:
3D Part:
- I don't mind boss and cut functions being combined eg. extrude boss and extrude cut in the same window and activated by the same button. Same goes for rotate, loft, sweep, helix and boolean functions. It'll free up some space.
- I still think each of the direct editing functions must have their own dedicated button and not be in a dropdown menu.
- For metric users the default values in the value boxes should not be a quarter, eighth, etc numbers. That's an imperial thing and we don't work like that.
- Planes must be listed as a sub-item of a feature (the same way a sketch is).
Sketch:
- Move and rotate should have their own buttons and not be in a dropdown menu.
- The text tool should have an option to create 2D single line based text. Useful for basic engrving of parts.
- Coincident constraints need to be represented by a symbol when applied and need to be deletable.
- Every sketch must have a dialogue box that allows users to select basic sketch parameter like plane (!!!), sketch name, sketch normal (overriding plane normal).
Global:
- All input boxes and/or feature/function windows need an 'apply' button. Most often the only way to see what one's input will achieve is to click back in another field or 'ok' the results only to have to reopen the window to make adjustments.

One last one that has nothing to do with the UI but needs to be addressed: the current surfacing tool is not really usable since surfaces created in AD (for, say, trimming) cannot be saved as Alibre usable data. They must be exported as igs, and then reimported into the file being trimmed. All associativity is lost. Something worth looking into.

Last edited:

Frederick

We won't, despite me really wanting to :D This is a case where I know it will invoke wraith.

I'm new to Alibre and I find the two kinds of extrusion, just as an example, an odd approach. Though in the long run I may find it is great.

What I'm used to is creating two solids and applying a boolean operation to them, be it union, difference or intersect. When I first got into 3D modeling tools and encountered that approach of acting on two of more solids it made perfect sense to me.

If you went with that approach I would be quite content.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
What I'm used to is creating two solids and applying a boolean operation to them, be it union, difference or intersect. When I first got into 3D modeling tools and encountered that approach of acting on two of more solids it made perfect sense to me.
That sounds like the old AutoCAD AME approach back with R11 and R12. The issue I had with it is there was no history and to make changes or edit you had to redo the boolean. Not Fun.

Once you get used to the Extrude Boss and Cut method I think you'll like it better.

And Hey, Welcome to the forum.

Global:
- All input boxes and/or feature/function windows need an 'apply' button. Most often the only way to see what one's input will achieve is to click back in another field or 'ok' the results only to have to reopen the window to make adjustments

This would be a huge frustration reliever all around.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
- All input boxes and/or feature/function windows need an 'apply' button. Most often the only way to see what one's input will achieve is to click back in another field or 'ok' the results only to have to reopen the window to make adjustments.
No, IMHO the most user friendly way to do that is a short timer started/extended by TextBox keypress events, so the timer event fires a second or so after the last keypress, which then fires the validation preview event. The timer is stopped if the user leaves the TextBox. Preview should be stopped if the user enters more data. The TextBox control can be subclassed to make any changes universal across the program.

dwc

Alibre Super User
No, IMHO the most user friendly way to do that is a short timer started/extended by TextBox keypress events, so the timer event fires a second or so after the last keypress, which then fires the validation preview event. The timer is stopped if the user leaves the TextBox. Preview should be stopped if the user enters more data. The TextBox control can be subclassed to make any changes universal across the program.
No, I have had to use programs that work like that and one spends all ones time trying to stop the preview updates and/or waiting for preview updates to end. If you want to make several changes all the automatism just stands in your way. An update button does the job, it gives me the power.
It is no wonder that I don't use those programs any more (not even sure they still exist).

bigseb

Alibre Super User
No, I have had to use programs that work like that and one spends all ones time trying to stop the preview updates and/or waiting for preview updates to end. If you want to make several changes all the automatism just stands in your way. An update button does the job, it gives me the power.
It is no wonder that I don't use those programs any more (not even sure they still exist).
THIS!

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Guys, I turned the fancy previews off. As I stated before about it: I would prefer an option that shows the preview button but doesn't preview until clicked. The more options the better - the timer value could be a setting.

But for those who prefer the fancy preview - the modern way to do it is show things as they are typed. Previews are 100% something that could be multithreaded in Alibre Design to prevent them from slowing down the user. And I did say that the preview should be interrupted if the user enters more data - which AFAIK currently doesn't happen - it just freezes until it is done previewing.

To achieve what you want right now all you need to do is tab or click to a different spot so that the TextBox looses focus and the validation preview happens. The devs probably wouldn't even need any more code beyond adding a button because it would just need to get focus.