What's new

Recent content by Cameraman

1. C

Greg spills the beans

I'm also very glad to hear about the emphasis on 2D for v10, but I do want to give kudos for including Acrobat 3D in v9.1 ... we are a product development group, and need an easy way to clearly communicate design concepts to our Marketing and Sales groups, who in turn communicate them to...
  2. C

FEA Software

I've used Algor since 1992 (when it came on red and blue 3.5" floppies that you had to store in a long tray ... ah, the memories) and feel that it is in a nice niche between the "big boys" and the "toys". The current package that I have is a basic linear stress package (and I don't need it very...
  3. C

Large Format Printers / Plotters

Yeah, Calcomp was the first place I thought of, but I guess the inkjets put them out of business and all they seem to sell now are Canon inkjet plotters ... I guess I'm getting old ... Haven't checked out OCE yet ... saw them, but haven't checked their specs and prices ... HP is...
  4. C

Large Format Printers / Plotters

Large Format Printers / Plotters Hello all, We have a DesignJet 488CA (24" roll) inkjet plotter. It's getting a bit long in the tooth, and like every large inkjet I have ever used it is excruciatingly slow and eats cartridges like gumdrops ... we have also picked...
  5. C

2006 Hardware Recommendations from Alibre Users

Dang, thanks Scott ... I was working from a combination of documents (including a Dell quote) and didn't even pay attention to what I was typing (let alone research it) ... I just saw the "Quadro" and went with it. I will get a new quote. Not sure if I can get the 64-bit processors approved...
  6. C

2006 Hardware Recommendations from Alibre Users

I am bumping this post because we just had a machine die, so we are comparing the costs to repair and replace it. Based on a scan of the posts in this section, I have assembled the following description of what I hope would be a good configuration for Alibre Design (note: we are also running...
  7. C

Adobe 3D

I, too, was looking into Acrobat 3D, and I see the value in being able to send models that people can read with software that they already have, but I must say we've had very good luck using ModelPress to show new concepts to potential customers, and nobody has yet complained of having to...
  8. C

A comment: the SolidWorks learning curve ad

You guys crack me up . . . I've always envisioned a "typical learning curve" as shaped similar to the upper left quadrant of a circle, with the X-axis being time and the Y-axis being knowledge. I'm sure that is how Solidworks intended their ad to be interpretted, but after reading your posts...
  9. C

Acrobat 3D

Acrobat 3D Seems like I'm always a little bit behind the times, but I just found out about Acrobat 3D. We use Acrobat a lot, so I decided to check it out a little bit. Here is the list of "supported" packages: 4DNAV CATIA Deep...
  10. C

modelpress publisher and configurations issue?

Funny how different people see things differently . . . it never occurred to me that the configs would follow into MP (because MP is a 3rd party add-on) . . . I was just tickled to death to have the configs! Regards, Greg :D
  11. C

How long have you been using Alibre Design?

No offense intended, Mibe, but I think that this poll shows more about the momentum of the forum than the software . . . 8) Regards, Greg :D
  12. C

Looking under the hood . . .

Looking under the hood . . . Perhaps this is a stupid question, but: When creating an assembly, does AD save separate copies of each part in the assembly (apart from the original model)? I was reviewing a raw recovered repository file listing today and noted...
  13. C

Critical Mass yet?

Re: I knew that there was a reason I liked you . . . Regards, Greg :D
  14. C

V9 - What Is Your #1 Enhancement Request?

Repository Sorry for the delay in my replies. "Need"? Perhaps not, but the built-in check-in-check-out and version control features eliminate the need for detailed manual or IT-based processes that would be required when using the file...
  15. C

Critical Mass yet?

I have yet to interface with someone outside of this forum who is familiar with Alibre, and that includes a very substantial list of people who use CAD software. I suspect that the prime reason people are not familiar with Alibre is that they are already entrenched with another CAD package --...