What's new

Recent content by IonSteve

1. IonSteve

I am stuck in a extremely (zoomed out/in) weird position

Just to clarify--using reference lines is a perfectly normal part of sketching. Use reference lines to your heart's content. My only input is just to be aware that if a reference line projects off into space some distance past your actual part, it can (will?) force the bounding box to...
  2. IonSteve

I am stuck in a extremely (zoomed out/in) weird position

I had something similar happen. It absolutely drove me nuts. After a great deal of digging, I found that a single construction line (reference line) in a sketch had somehow been given an arbitrarily long dimension. And although it was a construction line and not a sketch line, it still drives...
  3. IonSteve

Poll: PDF of Help?

When I'm problem solving, I will invariably use online help; for me, it's hard to beat keyword searching. With that said, I voted for the "yes, why not" option because--even though I've been using Alibre for a loooong time--there are still things it can do that I didn't know about until it gets...
  4. IonSteve

Space Mouse

It's the only way to fly, in my opinion. With a minimal amount of farting around/low learning curve, it makes interacting with your model fast, smooth, intuitive, and, dare I say it, fun. I've had mine for well over 10 years. Spend a few minutes setting the speeds and sensitivities to your...
  5. IonSteve

Color and hatching in DXF exports

Good evening/morning, folks; I'm trying a new online engraving service (for control panel labels) and their preferred upload is a DXF. Which is nice, I'm used to exporting DXF's to my laser cutter and router folks, so . . . familiar territory. The engravers use color to distinguish between a...
  6. IonSteve

Need some feedback on realtime preview

Yep, the <#> has been useful to me exactly 0 times over the years. If I am in doubt about what's going on, I look at whatever is highlighted, not the <#>.
  7. IonSteve

Load hang

Soooooooo: An assembly I work with almost every day has decided to hang on loading--not forever, but for about 20 minutes. This assy usually loads in under 30 seconds. It seems to be this assy and no others. If I load any of the constituent sub assy's they all load with no problem. It will go...
  8. IonSteve

KeyShot 10 is out

In terms of the basic rendering engine, no. There may be things going on under the hood that I can't see, but the output appears the same. What IS improved is the new lighting control panel. If you ever tried to tweak lighting in 9.x or preceding versions, you know how tedious and frustrating it...
  9. IonSteve

v23 - Request Thread

1. Remember last action or set default for extrude cut. Specifically, I almost always use “through all” for extrude cuts, and it’s an extra few clicks Every. Single. Time. <you have 2 more - admin> (I had to go collect myself, this is very exciting) 2. Automatically go to part in explorer upon...
  10. IonSteve

Mixed viewing modes

David . . . I mean . . . I thought I really wanted to do it in Illustration mode, but then I read your approach and it turns out I'm fine with Stefan's workaround ;) Somewhat more seriously, that would be a good trick if one needed to mix, say, THREE render modes. Which might be cool for...
  11. IonSteve

Mixed viewing modes

Stefan--that's a great idea, thank you!
  12. IonSteve

Mixed viewing modes

Yep, I can do it in Keyshot and of course that looks great, but for the manual I'm doing that would take me, uhhh, *scratches head* approximately 127 years.
  13. IonSteve

Mixed viewing modes

Good afternoon, folks; Super quick question: Is it possible in an assembly to have parts ABC in illustrator mode and parts XYZ in shaded mode? It seems like this should be possible by selecting the individual parts and in turn changing their rendering modes, but when I try this the render mode...
  14. IonSteve

Check this out

I'm gonna be real honest here . . . I just came really close to licking my computer screen. Want. Want want want want want. Want.
  15. IonSteve

License Surpise

RocketNut: I'm not a company man. I'm just a regular schmuck user. I am what one might call a disinterested third party. I have read and re-read David's original post re the USB dongle option that set you off. At no point does he toe a company line or sing praises. He merely presented the...