What's new

Search results

1. G

STL Import and redesign

I know that I am way beyond my ability but perhaps someone can give me some pointers. I am trying to make a clown for a model Cretors Popcorn Engine that I am building. I want to 3D print this. I can find an articulated doll on STL Finder which will be close to what I need but needs some...
  2. G

Modified part in assembly

I know that I did something that probably was not according to the rules. I have been making an assembly of the individual parts as I progress with the overall design. I was not sure if what I was trying to change would work so I had a part "cylinder" so I saved as "cylinderMOD" and made the...
  3. G

Creating sketch in new part

When I create a new sketch when making a new part how do I place the sketches? For instance when I want to draw a circle I can draw it at some random position and then dimension it to place it in the proper position. That is fine until I accidently placed it too close to the reference point. I...
  4. G

Drawing from model

When I make a drawing from a model how do I save my options preferences? In the past I changed it but I cannot find where I did it now. I want to show things like hidden lines and center lines and not show dimensions etc. Now when I create the new drawing I have to go to the options and change them.
  5. G

Update assembly drawing

How do I get assembly drawings to update to reflect changes made to individual part drawings? When I make a change to a part and then go back to the assembly drawing it does not reflect these changes. The way I have been doing it is to close the assembly drawing and then open it again. It seem...
  6. G

Regenerate in assembly

Is there a way to regenerate parts in an assembly after a part has been modified? Help says just click regen.. I don't see that option. The only way I have found is to close the assembly and the parts are updated when I reload. Atom3D
  7. G

Motion in assembly

In the past I could move parts in an assembly to show motion. Suddenly I can click on a surface and show motion but the entire assembly also moves all over the screen. It actually will just go off from the screen. I am not sure if it is relevant but my maintenance just expired and I had to...
  8. G

cosmetic threads

I have been trying to figure out how to show cosmetic threads. It seems to be an option with design but perhaps not with Atom 3D. It is shown as an option on the drop down menu but I cannot find how to show the threads. Is it possible?
  9. G

Dimension center to center

When working on 2D drawing I want to dimension from the center of a hole to either another hole or another feature or hole to hole. I have tried inserting a center point in the 3D model but the point does not come through to the 2D drawing. When I try to dimension from a hole it shows the...
  10. G

Add Ons

There seem to be add ons available for Alibre. I see references to existing and developing add ons in the general discussion but I am not sure of how to find them. Is there a common file section where these programs are available? Also is there a description of what they do? A name in the...
  11. G

Copy to new part drawing

Is there a way to copy parts of a sketch to a new part? For instance if I want to reuse parts of an existing design in a new design but want to remove certain features. I have been using save as under a new name and removing the features that I do not want in the new design. That works if I want...
  12. G

Drawing defaults

When making a drawing from a model there are options shown such as hidden lines, design dimensions etc. and these can be modified. Is there any way to retain these choices as a default?
  13. G

Line weight in print

Is there any way to adjust line weight in printing a drawing? When I print a drawing the hidden lines and center lines are almost invisible. Even the solid lines are quite faint. I have not found a solution. I found the solution. It is in layer management.
  14. G

Spur gears mesh

Is there any way to have spur gears mesh so that in assembly when one rotates the other gear also rotates. I am new to this program and I have been experimenting with assembly animation and I am having a problem with the mating parts moving. For instance when a lever pushes a rod the rod does...
  15. G

Inserting a DXF drawing

I have been trying to make a gear. I tried downloading a 3D part but the modification options are limited. I then downloaded a DXF file, loaded it into my 2D cad program, removed everything except the gear face. Then I loaded the DXF file into Alibre, selected and copied everything and then...
  16. G

Import problem

I have loaded a STEP file. I activate sketch and choose a face. Project to sketch. Deactivate sketch. Extrude sketch. Bore extrudes but not the face. I cannot select the bore to delete it. Any idea what I am doing wrong? Another friend tried the same thing and he was able to extrude the face. I...
  17. G

Circle placement

This has me frustrated. I want to sketch a circle, not on a given point. I can draw the circle and I can specify the diameter but nothing else. Now I want it to be X and Y dimensions from a given point. I can go to the dimension tool and enter the dimensions but it is a constant matter of...
  18. G

Assembly and drawing questions

A couple of beginner questions. I am working on an assembly of some parts that I have modeled. When I want to place these parts in the assembly to constraint points are now hidden behind other parts so I cannot just click on the point. I have turned on reference geometry on the parts and that...
  19. G

Assembly rotation

Somehow I ended up with my assembly rotated 90° Z axsis goes right to left and X and Y are vertical. Not sure what I did. The parts started out in the correct rotation. How do I get back to normal?
  20. G

Assembly constraints

I am new to this program. I am using the trial version of Alibre atom3D. I have made several parts and wanted to try assembling these parts. I have looked at several tutorials and they all show applying assembly constraints. The problem is that the constraints menu does not appear on the tool...