What's new

Shell Tool Behavior

JEdgarEE

Attached is a file that has an error in the shell operation. I am trying to shell out both flat surfaces to make an odd tube-like object with a wall thickness of 0.5". Can someone explain why it results in an error? I believe it has something to do with the sketch that's on the offset ZX plane. Also, some wall thicknesses have better results than others.

Latest V27 Expert fully Maintenanced running on a Windows 11 machine. AMD Ryzen 9 7950X, AMD RX6950, 64GB DDR5

Kind regards,
Joey

Attachments

• BASE_V3.AD_PRT
    422.5 KB · Views: 12

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
A small change to the loft in original part Base_V3 Allows the Shell to work correctly. Set Tangent Magnitude to 1.1 for both sketch profiles rather than just one of them. This may or may not be acceptable to the OP.

When there are rapid changes in curvature, different geometry kernels may be more or less successful in calculating a satisfactory result. Minor tweaks can tweaks sometimes fix things, but it can take some experimentation to find a solution.

Attachments

• BASE_V3(mod).AD_PRT
    628 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Joseph_L

Administrator
Staff member
Another method that may help is to create two extrusions from the current sketches.
Thank you Harold! Great approach

Joseph your title in the forums says you're a staff member, is that correct? Do you work for Alibre?
That is correct

I had a few more ideas but it looks like Harold and David knocked it out of the park with great ideas.

FYI, the dome in the packaged assembly is impossible to create in Alibre :) I made it in SW and imported as a step.
Give Alibre a chance! It's a great platform that has surprised me many times.

1694791385098.png
1694791398223.png

Thank you again to our kind and wonderful community who really helped on this, and the helpdesk, who worked hard to provide a solution quickly and cared about this case a lot.

Ex Machina

FYI, the dome in the packaged assembly is impossible to create in Alibre :) I made it in SW and imported as a step.
I've said that many times myself in the past. Now, I know that the CAD kernel game has been going on for so long that the differences are minuscule.

But it would be really interesting to tell us what stumped you in Alibre with that dome. Isn't it an elliptical dome? Sharing workflows will help all of us, from beginners to "self-proclaimed pros" like me... lol... And this thread is a great example of it. Like Harold's workflow which is a great example of out-of-the-box thinking!

P.S. Harold's idea was amazing. Let me just say that again.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
The loft tool had an overhaul back in v24. This looked like a good opportunity to use the face to face option on this part. Leveraging the existing sketches to create the solid ends made it a bit easier too.