What's new

Search results

1. M

Lost ability

Back in the day I discovered that you could generate either diameter or radius on a circle by holding down the shift key to get the opposite value from the one automatically generated. That seems to have been lost with the latest upgrade. Too bad because it slows down the dimensioning process.
  2. M

Latest spurious line problem

All of a sudden, these extra lines appear and extend WAY off the page. The only way to get rid of them is to close and then reopen the drawings. But they do come back when a change is made to the page. Any ideas?
  3. M

2D drawing error

I have a 30 sheet 2D drawing from a previous model engine design in 2018. I'm developing a new engine using many of the internal parts and I don't want to recreate 30 pages. So I deleted the irrelevant sheets and started inserting the new components. The cylinder for this engine will lay out...
  4. M

Moving a drawing page from one set of drawings to another

I have a full drawing set of a model engine. Now I am making a derivative design using many of the same parts that have already been detailed in 2D. Is there any way to move a page from one set to another?
  5. M

Sloooooowwww program

This morning, starting from a fresh computer start, with all housekeeping activity completed, I started Geomagic Design. Here is the timing: 3 min, 10 seconds, Flash screen is only item on screen then Start screen appears but outline is mainly empty. 3 minute more and Start screen is complete...
  6. M

Transparency key

It is tedious and slow to have to choose Color Properties every time I want to view the interior of a part. Is there a keyboard shortcut to, as long as the key is held down, turn the part 50% transparent?
  7. M

LOST CROSSHATCHING

Just loaded the second version of V17 and I've lost crosshatching on new cross sections. There are a few other display problems as well but this one is serious for me.
  8. M

Need Video card report if anyone has used it

Has anyone used this card and can comment on its performance with Alibre and the rendering progams? ATI 100-505531 FireMV 2450 Video Card - 512MB GDDR3, PCI-Express 2.0, VHDCI, Quad DVI Support, Quad VGA Support, Low-Profile, Workstation Thanks Mike Rehmus
  9. M

STL file importing

I am fairly certain I could read this type of file in the past. Would someone try it and see if it is just my installation? Thanks
  10. M

Strange cross hatching

Assembled a simple steam engine and then created 2D drawing of the complete engine. Asked for a cross section and it worked well. Then I decided I wanted three shafts to not be sectioned. Changed number one...OK. Changed number two...not OK. 2/3rds of the cross hatching on the cylinder and...
  11. M

INTERESTING Gotcha

I have a simple steam engine that I've just finished the drawings on and am now tweaking dimensions to make everything come out 'right.' So I have the assembled engine open and the 2D drawings open. If I use the 'Edit 3D' from the 2D drawing, it brings up the standalone part and I can edit and...
  12. M

Simulating a pot scrubber

How would you go about simulating a stainless steel pot scrubber (sort of like steel wool only with wide ribbons) stuffed into a test tube. This is for a Thermo-Acoustic heat engine. :mrgreen:
  13. M

Multiple sessions of Activate Sketch in View

If you Activate Sketch in View and then leave it, then reactivate Sketch in View, the previous sketch figures will not interract with the figures generated in the second activation. Case in point: I drew 4 circles and dimensioned them. Then exited from Sketch in View to set Layer properties...
  14. M

Grouping parts in an assembly

I've looked but cannot figure out how to group parts in an assembly. I have a crankshaft with bearings that is used twice in an engine. I had to assemble the group on the block to obtain proper alignment. Now I want to copy that group and use it again. Am I missing a function somewhere or does...
  15. M

Parts go missing in plain sight in 2D drawings.

In version 11 (I am now on 11.2 but this happened in 11.1 too) I have made some very complex (lots of parts) drawings. Twice now, upon opening one of these drawings, AD has asked me to 'replace' missing elements. Except the elements are not missing but are in plain sight. AD will not allow me to...
  16. M

Spring construction

If I set up to make a spring and ask for a definite length, I get the lenth plus the diameter of the 'wire' I use for the spring. I really don't know how springs are dimensioned in the real world but I'd think length is length. Furthermore, if one then asks for the ends to be flattened on a...
  17. M

Line Weight Problems when using fractional dimensioning

I have an engine on which the author wants me to use fractional dimensioning on the 2D drawings. No problem except then I find the line weights are changed and the control is so gross as to make the finished drawings unacceptable. Under Properties, Layers, the selections are now in increments of...
  18. M

Copying from one 2D drawing to another

Did a search on this topic and couldn't find an answer. What I want to do is copy parts of a 2D drawing from one sheet to another. Is there any way to do this? I need to depopulate some drawing sheets and spread the contents out to more sheets.
  19. M

How to force AD to generate a diameter dimension

AD has a bad habit of cutting up circles and then producing a radius dimension when a diameter is clearly called for. The solution to this used to be to hold down the Shift key while clicking on the circle. That no longer works Now you must hold down the Ctrl & Shift keys to get this to work...
  20. M

Losing Dimensions again

Once again I am experiencing loss of dimensions in 2D drawings. I have a cross section of a single-cylinder engine and I switch between it and the assembly model as I fix design errors. If I dimension a part and then move to the Select arrow, that dimension or a number of dimensions may/will...