What's new

Search results

1. C

Greg spills the beans

I'm also very glad to hear about the emphasis on 2D for v10, but I do want to give kudos for including Acrobat 3D in v9.1 ... we are a product development group, and need an easy way to clearly communicate design concepts to our Marketing and Sales groups, who in turn communicate them to...
  2. C

FEA Software

I've used Algor since 1992 (when it came on red and blue 3.5" floppies that you had to store in a long tray ... ah, the memories) and feel that it is in a nice niche between the "big boys" and the "toys". The current package that I have is a basic linear stress package (and I don't need it very...
  3. C

Large Format Printers / Plotters

Yeah, Calcomp was the first place I thought of, but I guess the inkjets put them out of business and all they seem to sell now are Canon inkjet plotters ... I guess I'm getting old ... Haven't checked out OCE yet ... saw them, but haven't checked their specs and prices ... HP is...
  4. C

Large Format Printers / Plotters

Large Format Printers / Plotters Hello all, We have a DesignJet 488CA (24" roll) inkjet plotter. It's getting a bit long in the tooth, and like every large inkjet I have ever used it is excruciatingly slow and eats cartridges like gumdrops ... we have also picked...
  5. C

2006 Hardware Recommendations from Alibre Users

Dang, thanks Scott ... I was working from a combination of documents (including a Dell quote) and didn't even pay attention to what I was typing (let alone research it) ... I just saw the "Quadro" and went with it. I will get a new quote. Not sure if I can get the 64-bit processors approved...
  6. C

2006 Hardware Recommendations from Alibre Users

I am bumping this post because we just had a machine die, so we are comparing the costs to repair and replace it. Based on a scan of the posts in this section, I have assembled the following description of what I hope would be a good configuration for Alibre Design (note: we are also running...
  7. C

Adobe 3D

I, too, was looking into Acrobat 3D, and I see the value in being able to send models that people can read with software that they already have, but I must say we've had very good luck using ModelPress to show new concepts to potential customers, and nobody has yet complained of having to...
  8. C

A comment: the SolidWorks learning curve ad

You guys crack me up . . . I've always envisioned a "typical learning curve" as shaped similar to the upper left quadrant of a circle, with the X-axis being time and the Y-axis being knowledge. I'm sure that is how Solidworks intended their ad to be interpretted, but after reading your posts...
  9. C

Acrobat 3D

Acrobat 3D Seems like I'm always a little bit behind the times, but I just found out about Acrobat 3D. We use Acrobat a lot, so I decided to check it out a little bit. Here is the list of "supported" packages: 4DNAV CATIA Deep...
  10. C

modelpress publisher and configurations issue?

Funny how different people see things differently . . . it never occurred to me that the configs would follow into MP (because MP is a 3rd party add-on) . . . I was just tickled to death to have the configs! Regards, Greg :D
  11. C

How long have you been using Alibre Design?

No offense intended, Mibe, but I think that this poll shows more about the momentum of the forum than the software . . . 8) Regards, Greg :D
  12. C

Looking under the hood . . .

Looking under the hood . . . Perhaps this is a stupid question, but: When creating an assembly, does AD save separate copies of each part in the assembly (apart from the original model)? I was reviewing a raw recovered repository file listing today and noted...
  13. C

Critical Mass yet?

Re: I knew that there was a reason I liked you . . . Regards, Greg :D
  14. C

V9 - What Is Your #1 Enhancement Request?

Repository Sorry for the delay in my replies. "Need"? Perhaps not, but the built-in check-in-check-out and version control features eliminate the need for detailed manual or IT-based processes that would be required when using the file...
  15. C

Critical Mass yet?

I have yet to interface with someone outside of this forum who is familiar with Alibre, and that includes a very substantial list of people who use CAD software. I suspect that the prime reason people are not familiar with Alibre is that they are already entrenched with another CAD package --...
  16. C

V9 - What Is Your #1 Enhancement Request?

I will chime again for the easily sharable repositories located on local servers :idea: . We have been trying to make AD work here at our small company for the past 18 months, but we are continually hamstrung by this glaring lack of collaborative functionality, and we have therefore been unable...
  17. C

multi-user repository

I need to bump this one back to the top . . . it's been suggested and discussed ad nauseum, so it is difficult to understand why we haven't heard definitive anything on it from Alibre . . . or maybe we have and I missed the memo? . . . this is easily the single biggest complaint that I have with...
  18. C

New release?

Re: I hate to sound like a cynic, but I will be shocked if it is available before June 1 (the deadline for locking in the lower maintenance fees) . . . Regards, Greg :D
  19. C

drawing revision

one other possibility that one of our designers is using: a custom symbol that contains the lines and text fields for adding another line to the revision block the big drawback to this method is that there is no "snap" feature to help align the symbol, so you have to just place it as best you...
  20. C

Stress Analysis Question - Please Help!!!!!!!!

Willbur is right all the way around: . . . use the Sy in tension (because you are examining bending, not shear . . . . . . and be sure to include a safety factor! This latter point is critical because it is what permits you to make the simplifying assumptions (such as c=t/2) that make...