What's new

Search results

1. IonSteve

Color and hatching in DXF exports

Good evening/morning, folks; I'm trying a new online engraving service (for control panel labels) and their preferred upload is a DXF. Which is nice, I'm used to exporting DXF's to my laser cutter and router folks, so . . . familiar territory. The engravers use color to distinguish between a...
  2. IonSteve

Load hang

Soooooooo: An assembly I work with almost every day has decided to hang on loading--not forever, but for about 20 minutes. This assy usually loads in under 30 seconds. It seems to be this assy and no others. If I load any of the constituent sub assy's they all load with no problem. It will go...
  3. IonSteve

Mixed viewing modes

Good afternoon, folks; Super quick question: Is it possible in an assembly to have parts ABC in illustrator mode and parts XYZ in shaded mode? It seems like this should be possible by selecting the individual parts and in turn changing their rendering modes, but when I try this the render mode...
  4. IonSteve

DWG template, and export to same

Let me first say that I used to know how to do this. I mention this because I'm feeling a little dumb about it. I have a local CNC router guy who knocks off a significant amount of dollars if I nest my 2D parts on the sheet for him. This is done via a .dwg template that he sends along for...
  5. IonSteve

Remember previous action, because I'm lazy

Howdy folks, and a Happy New Year to everyone. As always, my most abject apologies if this has been covered previously, although I did search and didn't locate anything. My question du jour: I'd like the extrude bosses to remember the last behavior I used. E.g. the cut boss default is "to...
  6. IonSteve

Branding feedback to the Mothership

Folks-- My annual maintenance was due this week and I dutifully paid up. But not without some feedback to the gentleman from Sales whom I spoke with. We actually had a very long and positive talk about the Geomagic rebranding, during which I explained to him that the word Geomagic is a...
  7. IonSteve

Flat pattern from convert to sheet metal

Howdy folks-- When I convert the attached file via "convert to sheet metal" everything is cool until I try to unbend the flanges to make a flat pattern. When I attempt the unbend I'm getting unwanted (and unloved) notches at each flange. See attached. Thanks to folks on this forum I...
  8. IonSteve

I'm a lofting . . . fool

In the attached file (just an example I made to ask this question) I have two sketched circles on two planes that I want to loft into a cylinder, with the loft following a guide curve such that the cylinder will be wavy. I get the error popup that the "guide curve does not intersect all...
  9. IonSteve

Sheet metal flange question

I have an unexplained notch in a sheet metal part that has defied my best efforts to eliminate it. I did attempt to offset the edges of the flange in question, but the notch just follows the offset. I am prepared to believe that I am doing something wrong . . . but I am stuck at this point...
  10. IonSteve

DXF with notes and annotations

Folks-- Very quick question: When I am sending a DXF file to a CNC laser cutter contractor, do I need to clear notes and annotations off the drawing so that he has a file he can work with directly, or does Alibre encode the notes and the part model separately? Hope the question makes sense...
  11. IonSteve

IGES import, whoa nelly

Folks-- I have heretofore imported IGES files without much trouble. This evening I imported an IGES file and quite a bit of stuff seemed to be missing, so I sent the same file to a friend with SolidWorks to see what he got when he opened it. Huge. Difference. See attached. The one with all...
  12. IonSteve

2011 install glitch

Apologies if this has been covered before, although I did a quick search and did not find anything. I would normally go straight to support with this, but it's the weekend . . . Finally took the plunge and downloaded and installed 2011, build 59 for 32 bits. Install appeared to go normally...