What's new

Search results

1. Old Geeser

Make Flexable

Is it possible to have multiple sub assemblies "made flexable" in a single assembly? I have this and when I make one sub-assembly "make flexable" then the other one that was flexable now no longer allows movement. Is there a rule that you can only have one sub assembly "made flexable" at a...
  2. Old Geeser

Coil Spring

If you model a coil spring, will it behave like a spring in an assembly in design? Compressing and returning to normal state after pressure is released? Thanks Karl
  3. Old Geeser

Assemblies - sub-Assemblies

I am trying to learn Alibre assemblies so I can animate an engine I designed years ago. I created a sub-assembly of the of the piston and rod (with lots of help from David on this forum) and it works great in the sub-assembly, but when I insert the sub-assembly into the final-assembly I no...
  4. Old Geeser

Help with assembly.

I have an engine that I made years ago in Autocad and would like to animate it in alibre. I am having some issues understanding animation constraints. Can someone show me the correct way to constraint this piston/rod assembly, so the rod is in the middle of the piston and flops back and forth...
  5. Old Geeser

Load an AutoCAD solid to Alibre

I have a solid model of an engine that I created years ago in autocad that I'd like to play with in Alibre. I've tried exploding one part in autocad and then opening it in Alibre and extruding it into Alibre one section at a time. This would require many many hours for each part. Is there any...
  6. Old Geeser

Opening an .obj file

I remember seeing a post telling how to open an .obj file via FreeCad I think, but I can't file the discussion by searching for ".obj" & "FreeCad". Can someone point me to a discussion on how to on "open an .obj file in Alibre" process. I am running Alibre design version 27 Thank you
  7. Old Geeser

3 printing - 2 color

I have a dual print head 3d printer. Does anyone know how to create the 2 files needed. For instance, if you just wanted to print your name in a 3" square. I can create the square and put the text .04 deep into it with a extrude/cut command. But now how do I create the second file of just the...
  8. Old Geeser

offset a solid

I am trying to create a case for my new phone. I have created a solid model of the phone. Next I need to create something like a "offset" surface or maybe a negative "shell" of that model. I can find neither of these functions. Does anyone have an idea of how to proceed? Thanks Karl
  9. Old Geeser

plane selection missing in sketch mode

Today when I went to start a new part, and selected create sketch/2d there were no plane or axis selections available (they are all grayed out). Does anyone have any idea what I did wrong?
  10. Old Geeser

Boolean subtraction one loft from another loft

I am trying to create a vacuum hose connection for my laser box. I can figure out how to subtract one loft from another. Any help would be appreciated, thanks
  11. Old Geeser

Single line DXF

I am trying to laser cut a cardboard box shape from a dxf file. When I make the .DXF file, I get 2 lines around the periphery in most places instead of 1 They appear to be about .001" apart. Am I doing something wrong when I created the "thin Extrude" or is there a problem with the function...
  12. Old Geeser

Line Art

I have a line art drawing I'm like to get out of the sketch to a dxf file. Does anyone know of a way to get it out . You can't create a drawing and thus a dxf of it because it is not a solid. I can't seem to even cut and paste it. I have a new 80 Watt diode Laser and I'd like to burn it into...
  13. Old Geeser

Design Tree Stability

When I am editing items & sketches in the tree on the left side of the screen, the items keep moving around and even disappearing. Sketches even get separated from their extrusions. What is the secrete to keeping them in the order I created them unless I specificity want to move them? Thanks...
  14. Old Geeser

Suppress/Hide a feature

I am working on a part that is some what "U" shaped. I would like to suppress or hide the side (an extrusion feature) closest to me so I can see better the behind sketch. Any help would be appreciated. I am using Design/ver25 Thanks Karl
  15. Old Geeser

Suppressing 3D image

I created a part by revolving a sketch around an axis. Now I need to go back into the sketch and make some changes. The sketch is a little busy and the 3d image of the revolve makes it hard to see the sketch. Is there a way to "turn off the image while I edit the sketch? Design Version 25...
  16. Old Geeser

Purpose of Scripts

As someone relatively new to Alibre, am I correct in this observation of scripts? They are used to create new geometry, not to interrogate the current data. Thanks Karl
  17. Old Geeser

.step Files

I downloaded a .step file today from grab Cad in order to 3D print a case for my wife's new phone. I decided it would be fun to add her name into it. The .step file came into Alibre as an assembly instead of a part file. When I tried to create text and cut it from the assembly it said "no...
  18. Old Geeser

First attempt at assembly

I don't understand why these two parts don't orient properly when the 2 dovetails are constrained as coincident? Any help would be appreciated.
  19. Old Geeser

3D print text for a duel extruder printer

I have a duel extruder 3D printer. I like to create 2 stl files. One of my basic part (with cavities for the text) and the other with a 3d model of the actual text (in place as it would be on the model). Can anyone please give me some direction on how this would be accomplished with Alibre...
  20. Old Geeser

funnel design

How does one create a funnel shaped design. I've tried extrude and extrude cut, both with a draft angle. Each time I get the outside circle drafted toward the inside and the inside circle drafted toward the outside. which results in a sharp point part way between. How do I get a uniform wall...