What's new

Search results

1. J

what is a "free" axial constraint

I'm having trouble understanding what an axial constraint that is set to "free" does for you. It looks like it keeps two axes oriented in the same direction, but not necessarily co-axial. Is that correct? If so, how is this different in behavior from a mate (coincident?) constraint (e.g., mate...
  2. J

update to V22 failed - missing source file

I have been successfully running Alibre Design Expert V21 for quite some time now. Today when I started Alibre, it said there was an update available (V22). I selected it and it began the install of the update. At some point, it said something about needing to install some C++ item, and so I...
  3. J

dimensions changing between configurations

Is there any reason why a dimension would change value across configurations? I designed a simple sketch/feature, then created a second configuration based on that feature. Locked it. Went back to config1 and added more features. I then went to config2, and created a new sketch with the...
  4. J

default text size for drawings

How do I change the default text size for ALL future drawings, not just the one I'm currently working on? Thanks, PJ
  5. J

modeling a dome shape

What are some methods to model a a surface that is convex in two directions, such as a dome or upside-down bowl? I am struggling to find the right Alibre features to use to achieve such a shape. Thanks, PJ
  6. J

holes on circumference of a cylinder

I have modeled a hollow cylinder and I need to reduce its weight by putting holes in its circumference, essentially making a perforated tube. What is the best/easiest way to achieve this? The feature pattern tool doesn't seem to support cylinders. Creating lots of tangent planes for sketched...
  7. J

property value fields not updating in drawings

I have a drawing template which pulls data automatically, such as part name, created date, etc. It was working fine until I had to reproject views because of a minor change to the part. Now, it seems the link to the part data is broken because the drawing opens and shows only the field name...
  8. J

Exporting STEP files

I have a model that has several configurations. I want to export one of those configurations to a STEP file. How do I make sure the correct configuration is exported? Is the STEP file based on whatever the currently viewed configuration is upon selecting "export" from the Alibre Gem menu...
  9. J

panning without middle mouse button

I don't use AD all that often. I thought I remembered that you could pan by pressing both the L and R mouse buttons while also pressing either Shift or Control key (can't remember which). this was important to me because my middle mouse button (the wheel) doesn't work. But when I fired up...
  10. J

exploded views

Is there a way to exclude some parts of an assembly from an exploded view? I want an exploded view of an assembly, except there are two parts that I don't want exploded from each other but do want exploded from the rest (i.e., those two should stay mated together). Should I make a subassembly of...
  11. J

Manual

Where can I find the latest user manual for GD? Thought I had one but apparently not. Old Alibre version is all I seem to have. I am tired of trying to navigate through the help file. Thanks, PJ
  12. J

Project to Sketch

Why don't parts that rely on Project To Sketch (PTS) for dimensions update automatically when opening an assembly? I have to manually edit the sketch where the PTS occurred in order for the new changes to take effect. Background: In an assembly, I create a new part based on the dimensions of...
  13. J

creating a cylinder with dimensions dependent upon another

I am trying to create a cylindrical “child” part based on the dimensions of another cylindrical “parent” part (e.g., two axles, or a bushing and an axle, etc). Specifically, I want both the diameter and the extruded length of the parent to dictate the same dimensions on the child. I have read...
  14. J

groove along the circumference of a cylinder

I need to model a round-bottom groove of varying depth in the circumference of a cylinder. The groove or channel is a cam surface and a follower pin rides in the groove as the cylinder rotates about its long axis. The groove goes about 2/3rds the way around the cylinder, and the depth of the...
  15. J

positioning an .STL file import

I imported an STL file object (a gear), and after import I got a dialog box offering either precise placement or drag/triad. I selected precise placement but couldn't figure out how to move the object to a specific position. How can I move an imported object to the origin? More specifically...
  16. J

lofting within an assembly

I have a simple assembly that consists of two cylinders (two distinct parts). I wish to connect them with a third part - a rectangular bar - sort of like a barbell shape. I want the rectangular bar to intersect with and blend with each curved cylindrical surface at either end. I created a...
  17. J

spiral (or any other arbitrary) hole pattern

I know how to create circular and linear hole patterns, but how would I create a hole pattern that follows a spiral? (and by that I mean a flat spiral - all holes start on the same plane) Thanks, PJ
  18. J

inserting a boolean into an assembly

I used an assembly as a "tool" to create a design boolean (subtract) in another part (the "blank"). Saved everything, and closed. I then reopened that assembly and attempted to insert the boolean part into the assembly. A dialog popped up saying something like "unable to insert (partname)...
  19. J

changes upcoming or already for MOI and Dynamics/Sim

I have GD and current maintenance. I have seen discussion on the forum about changes to GeoMagic Design in terms of features/3rd party add ons. I never received any communication from GeoMagic about any changes (the so called consolidation email). Can anyone tell me, or point me to any...
  20. J

locating orthogonal holes via project to sketch

I have two orthogonal holes located on adjacent faces of a part (e.g., a cube). I want the center location of one hole to be based on the center location of the other hole. How can I use project-to-sketch to accomplish this? thanks, PJ