What's new

Search results

1. T

Moving a imported sketch back near axis

Hello I inherited a file that was drawn on another package. The issue is either in the conversion of some other reason the sketch is way off the axis and that means moving around is real F!ng pain. How do I shift it back over? Thanks Tim
  2. T

Adding graphics to a curved surface

Hello, I'm trying to add text and graphics to a curved surface. Its on a membrane of an enclosure. I managed to make the membrane and the buttons but not the text or graphics I could spend ages getting a plane at the right angle and draw on the plane, extrude then slice the top to get the...
  3. T

Importing a .bak file

Hi all Is there a way to import a .bak into Alibre? Thanks Tim Box
  4. T

Any tips on making threads quickly.

Hi all, After years of using Alibre for generating parts and sending the files of to be made I purchased a 3d FDM printer. One of the things that I found works is printing threads. However they are a pain. Before I would just say x thread here. But with 3d printing you actually need the shape...
  5. T

Altering the ground reference plane to the part or Vis versa

Hello and thanks in advance I have a part, its a LCD bezel that was based of dxf file. I copied its profiles and managed to build a part. Its not pretty in its construction but it is right in the end. I can export it to an stl file with no issues (cannot read it back in alibre but other...
  6. T

Moving a part sketch around, how to?

Hello, I'm trying to model a bezel from an enclosure drawing. I kind of figured out how copy / paste the elements of drawing from the DXF file into a part drawing. The problem is when I paste it in its miles off the center of the new part. I know I can click and drag one line at a time around...
  7. T

How to boolean cut an intersecting part

Hello People Thanks for taking the time to look at my question I modeled a reducing tee, then a half tube and placed it in the location i want it to occupy in the end. The goal is to work out the shape of the half tube so it will fit inside the tee. But despite a few of trying to figure out...
  8. T

Correct method to generate a sheet part (question)

Hi and thanks for the great help given in the past, I hope you can help me again. I want to make a part using the sheet metal tools. I have attached the solid version that I want to replicate. and my attempt at the sheet part. However I'm stuck as you will see on how to fill in a missing...
  9. T

Placing holes in a rolled sheet metal part

Hi, I hope someone can help me. Part of my design is a tube rolled from sheet metal. Using the sheet metal tools in Gemagic design the only way I can make a tube is to use the "lofted" tool specifying the parameters to make the tube I need. But short of placing holes in the tube while its ub...
  10. T

Section view no longer working

Hi I just updated to the latest version but find that section views no longer work. It either just hides the parts or does nothing. Attached is a demo part to show the issue. Any ideas how to fix this? I really need to get on with a job. Thanks Tim
  11. T

Looking for advice to resolve fillet error

Hi chaps/lady's I'm trying to resolve an error when adding a fillet "BL_CAP_COMPLEX: could not find acceptable sequence of capping faces to trim blend face" I cannot see what is causing the issue, its worked ok on a similar design. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Tim
  12. T

Defining a path along an iregular edge

Hi The end result I want is to add a rib around the edge of this piece to add rigidity Making a sweep seems the right idea but not sure exactly how to make the path follow the edge. Any pointers? Thanks
  13. T

Advice on how to please

Hello all I need to run a grove around the inside of a shape and not sure how to do it. This is a cross section and attached is the part I'm trying to apply it to. The grove needs to follow the edge all the way around. Unfortunately I'm not sure how to do it. I know I should be doing a sweep...
  14. T

Help needed to achieve a task

Hi I'm asking for some help please. I need to extrude a sketch to 0.5mm from the opposite face. The trouble is the face is a 3 way compound curve and I have no idea how to do it. Any hints appreciated
  15. T

Sweep error (non existent path)

Hi I'm trying to do a sweep cut and in the process of eliminating my errors I go it to sweep an extrude but its not followed any path I made. Any ideas on what is going wrong?
  16. T

Mirroring screws up every thing

I have an extrusion and added ribs. To make it easy on my self I did one side and I'm trying to mirror it to the other. I have had nothing but problems 1 It distorts the image 2 It replicated the lines so it had a copy of each on top of the first 3 It crashes This is doing my head in, I get...
  17. T

Repeating sketches along a line (not straight or circle)

Hi I promise I have had a long look but I cannot see how to do this:- I need to ripples on a design for an aluminium extrusion. They seem to be parts of a circle, so I have one circle and want to replicate the that circle at fixed distances along the path of the arc (part of an ellipse). The...
  18. T

Unable to amend drawing

Hi My issue is I drew a part, it was sent of to be tooled as an IGUS file. They made some amendments and sent it back as an Igus file. Now I can no longer do anything with it. I have a friend with solid works who can and has made amendments to the file. Is there any way I can make Alibre...
  19. T

Flowing a curve around a square

Hi This is a "how to", question! I have a design thats round, producing it was pretty simple, Just draw an outline and do a sweep. Now I want the same sort of sweeping curve but applied to a square. I have tried just doing curved edges but they look very poor, I have tried replicating the...
  20. T

Revolveing an shape around an ellipse

Sorry if this is a dumb question! I have searched ... I need to revolve a shape around an ellipse. Revolve Boss is not right is round Sweep boss complains "SWEEP_SELF_INT: The sweep results in self-intersecting surface" See pic this was done with Revolve boss but I need an ellipse...