What's new

Search results

1. T

Stacked section slices?

Is there a way to make stacked sections slices so that the section slices are aligned to each other?
  2. T

"Ground"

I get that ground shadows and reflections are cosmetic for viewing -- it seems that when I toggle it on/off, the ground seems to switch depending on the current orientation of the viewing window. I can sort of figure out how to get the reflection/shadow where I want, but is there a formal...
  3. T

Can't select YZ plane from default view orientation

When I want to start a sketch and it asks for the plane, I can highlight the XY plane and XZ plane for picking, as well as the X, Y and Z axes. But the YZ plane cannot be highlighted for picking. It can easily be worked around, of course, by picking the plane in the modeling tree or by slightly...
  4. T

Workflow question - how do you initially add assy/parts, and locate them with sensible reference geometries?

I am working on modeling a control box (see attached image). I have the main box as an assembly, and then there is a top cover assembly which I have started to work on. When I was a total newbie, I used to just throw a bunch of parts in the top level assembly and often just model in place...
  5. T

Adjusting (quick) section view plane position?

If I were to turn on the quick section view on the, say, XY plane and want to look at the cut plane directly head on along the Z axis, is there a way to move the cut plane location? I can sort of do this by splitting my view and having a second view that is not along the orthogonal axis; but the...
  6. T

Creating an axis without creating a feature?

I recently had a need to align the center of the extents of this green part to the center of the round part. I did this by creating a sketch on the green part, projecting the part's outline, and then making a circle defined by the three (fourth is redundant) points that defined the outer...
  7. T

Walking assembly

I've recently experienced a problem where a sub-assembly likes to walk on its own with each regeneration of the sub-assembly or of the parent master assembly. Video: I don't see any inter-design relationships in the tree that might explain it... Nor any planes/axis definition or...
  8. T

"Descriptive" dimensions gone in V25?

I sometimes would use a "descriptive" dimension like "30mm - 2.5mm" or "30mm + 1in" or "30 - 15" (for degrees) when dimensioning items. But it now seems like if I do that in dimensions, the calculated value is stored instead and replaces the equation form that I used? If a design is metric, I...
  9. T

How to make a shape mapped completely on a round contour?

I have a project where I need to wrap a shape onto a cylindrical surface, but am having difficulties doing so. To simplify the discussion, I've create an example case. Let's say that I wanted to decorate a coffee mug with a Christmas tree shape. I can create this tab as a starting point...
  10. T

Phantom constraints

I ran into a problem where a phantom constraint exists in my design until I close and reopen the design. This happened recently with an assembly that initially consisted of two cylinders: After creating and saving cylinder C1, I I created cylinder C2. For C2, I first defined a plane that...
  11. T

Problems creating view orientations

I am having a weird behavior where I generally cannot create view orientations. This happens even when I start a fresh instance of Alibre, create a new part, rotate my view once and then go to the view orientation dialog with Ctrl+U (or through the ribbon). If you have Alibre running as you...
  12. T

"Ghost" a part?

I sometimes work on assemblies where I need to align an "inside part" to line up with features that surround them. In the beginning stages, I just eyeball the placement by moving the parts around, but I have to constantly hide/unhide parts. It would be nice if there was a way to turn a part...
  13. T

Copy with base point?

I ran into some momentary confusion while I was trying to cut-and-paste line data from a datasheet DXF as a starting point to model the part in 3D. When I cut from the datasheet (Drawing) sketch and paste into the 3D model sketch, the pasted location was so far off-screen in the 3D model sketch...
  14. T

Request: Preserve separate feature colors for Keyshort export

I use Alibre Design quite a lot in conjunction with Altium Designer to detail the mechanical aspects of my projects and to create more complete representations of a finished product, where the electronics is only a part of a much bigger overall project. I have recently started to use Keyshot to...
  15. T

Where can I find drawings?

Thsi is a OT/newbie question - And, part of what I learned about electronics when I was a child was the reams of electronics schematics documentation that companies threw away... and, in the programming world today, one can find a bunch of shared source code and programs made available...
  16. T

How would you guys approach this?

I am trying to make a sheetmetal plate that will hold some circuit boards. Unfortunately, one of the mounting holes which needs to be supported is located where tall components surround the hole location. (In the attached screen shot, the array of 2x4 holes on the left is populated by a big...
  17. T

Export to Solidworks using STEP214?

I just exported my work to STEP 214 to be imported by a machine shop's Solidworks -- when he opened the files, the result looked like a "dog pile" of many parts clustered in the middle, with some of the other parts strewn about. It looks (maybe) like all of the parts came in individually in...
  18. T

I can't "make flexible" an assembly

Hi, I'm working on a design where several electronics assemblies connect to each other through mating connectors. There is a motheboard, on which the daughterboard is mounted, and then various option boards that go on the daughterboard. The connector placements on the option boards are...
  19. T

Strange highlight of constraint in explorer

As I was putting some finishing constraints on my design, one of the constraints showed up in the explorer with a green highlight (not italic, not the usual blue selectoin highlight). I couldn't find anything about this in the documentation? Anyone know what it is telling me? Thanks.
  20. T

How to change subassemblies that have been made flexible?

Is there a way to make constraint edits within a sub-assembly which has been made flexible? I built up a paper transport mechanism with a bunch of pre-assemblies consisting of sleeve bearings, shafts, spur gears, and rollers. Because the roller and sleeve bearing positions varied within the...