What's new

Search results

1. wsimonton

SAVE AS to new directory

I hope this has been asnwered. Is there a way to save an Assembly with all its associated subdirectories also saved in the same relationship and names as the original? I hope this is something simple that I am missing or just going about it wrong in my ignorance
  2. wsimonton

Unwrapping A Cylinder

I have created a T-Boiler which is still in the early stages. What I want to do is unwrap the vertical cylinder and create the sheet metal to more correctly illustrate the design and maybe assist in the development of plans for a new boiler. An illustration of the "Pro Forma Boiler" is below...
  3. wsimonton

2D Drawing Errors

I have a Part which generating an "extra" line and failing to display another edge. This is the same Part that failed to display boundary lines until I added a Guide Curve - a straight line in the area which failed to display. I have looked at the 3D file repeatedly to try to find what is...
  4. wsimonton

Loft Not Projecting in 2D Alibre Drawing

I had a result which was unprecedented "for me". I prepared a simple Part which contained two (2) Lofts due to the taper of the Part. The first Loft projected the tapered Body and the second Cut that Loft to create a Stake Pocket. I then directed Alibre to create a 2D drawing. The original...
  5. wsimonton

Display "Error" ?

I have been experiencing a display error with "star burst" obscuring parts of the Work Space. Often happens on a "Move" command but also happens occasionally with other operations. System Config: Alibre Design™ Expert Version: V22 64-bit [Build 22053] HP Model H8-1230t Video Card...
  6. wsimonton

"Internal Error" when 3D printing

I encountered a strange/odd result when adding a Fillet to the Spokes at the Rim of the of Wheel Center shown below. I attempted to add a 3/4" Fillet around the Spokes where each joined the wheel Rim. Although "Tangent Propagate" was checked Alibre produced a RED error "Button" and refused to...
  7. wsimonton

Aligning Part between Non-Aligned Holes

I am working on a Model of a Boiler for which I have the 1919 drawings. The drawing shows the location of the Staybolts in the Boiler Shell and the Firebox. Some align and some do not. Due the shape of the Firebox a LOT of the Staybolts do not align and simply doing one and doing a Component...
  8. wsimonton

Lofting 3D sketches?

Is there a way to Loft 3D sketches or a work around? I am attempting to add a Loft or other form to fill the recess around the "Rivets" to be (being done as a group, not one at a time) although the "Lofts" would be. One possibility is to create a shape that fills the chamfer and then do a...
  9. wsimonton

Node Display

Always while working 2018 and prior versions of Alibre for the last 10 years the end points and intermediate points of 2D sketches would display while working in 3D Sketch Mode. For the first time in 2019 I started to draw a 3D line (guide curve) which joined two sketches at particular points...
  10. wsimonton

Fillet Failure 2019

I have a Part which has been stable for 5 or six years or more which with 2019 has "lost" or "failed" a fillet which had been stable. The location is indicated on the jpg included here along with the attached Package. 2019 has also exhibited some trouble loading this file when part of a...
  11. wsimonton

3D PARSING ERROR with Print 3D pdf

I obtained a strange result tonight. I printed a 3D pdf of Climax 1551 and at the end of the process a "3D Parsing Error" was reported. A 2D pdf appeared in Adobe Reader without apparent errors. If one clicked on the drawing to "activate" a Picasso locomotive appeared. See below. Opening...
  12. wsimonton

Managing 2D Alibre Drawings

I have generated a 2D drawing in Alibre of the my Climax locomotive with 6 views and some cross sections. Typically I Export to AutoCad 2010 and load into my long time 2D CADD program Visual CADD to edit the 2D drawings. Some lines are always lost in the the process but I have lived with it as...
  13. wsimonton

Alibre Design Expert to Alibre Atom 3D

Are there any issues with importing Parts and Assemblies created in Alibre Expert to Alibre Atom 3D? For instance, how does Atom 3D handle completed Sheet Metal parts or completed Parts which are produced with functions that Atom 3D does not have. The reason I ask is that I plan to provide a...
  14. wsimonton

Custom BOM w Part Paths

Is there a way to create a custom BOM which will generate a file path for each part? I have a few files that a few parts got placed in an incorrect subdirectory and chasing down those files and correcting, consolidating and rationalizing the files would be so much easier.
  15. wsimonton

Sub Assembly Will not Load & Display (although next larger will)

I have a sub-assembly which is the bare boiler with courses, rivets and stay bolts of my Climax locomotive which will not load. It loads and displays and then it just hangs. It began when I inserted a plane and a Section View in the area of the Firebox and attempted to view it. No matter how...
  16. wsimonton

Modifying the Array Function(s)

Is there away to modify the array function(s) to obtain non-linear Arrays and/or Circular Arrays which align with curves? I would like to be able to insert the Rivets into the attached assembly with an adjustable formula. The specification for the rivets is 2 1/16" on center on the 30"...
  17. wsimonton

Why different Flange Results

The two sheet metal parts are left and right sides. Alibre has created two different results where the top tab ends at the 3" radius. I do not know why. The Right Side (done first) result appears atypical which I cleaned up the arc. The Left Side also appears atypical. One result or the...
  18. wsimonton

Reprducing Sheet Metal Contour Bends from manufacturer's drawing

I am working on documenting a 1919 Climax Geared Steam Locomotive CN 1551 in Alibre. I have obtained a copy of the original sheet metal drawings of the Cab from the company which manufactured the sheet metal parts for 1551. The drawings show the length and radius of the bends which I have...
  19. wsimonton

Tight Bends in Sheet Metal

I am trying to replicate a real world sheet metal application which I produced in a solid model - Coal Bunker Shell attached. The area I am having trouble with is the bend where one side overlaps the other and the two sides are riveted together. I reproduced the bend in the one piece solid...
  20. wsimonton

Sheet Metal?

I have run into problem I am struggling with. I need to create a 5' to 6" Disc which conforms to the locomotive smokebox. The holes for the attaching rivets would be radial to the smokebox. I do not know sheet metal, but in my head if I did I would approach it thus: Create a Sheet Metal...