What's new

Search results

1. dwc

Make a drawing of 2 assemblies with some parts hidden... is possible?

I am trying to make a comparison of two assemblies. I have put them both in another assembly and want to make a drawing with dimensions to highlight the differences. Should be no problem. Unfortunately I need to hide one part in each assembly and I have not been able to find a way to get the...
  2. dwc

Need help with loft and guide curves...

I am in way over my head. As some may know one of my projects is making 3d printed violins, that in the meantime are pretty good. My motto is that to sound like a violin it has to vibrate like a violin, not necessarily look like a traditional violin. As a next step in controlling the...
  3. dwc

Create a Custom Symbol

Do I see correctly that it is impossible to make a Custom Symbol from a view of an existing part? When making a drawing the Create Custom Symbol menu entry stays grayed out until I draw something on the sheet. And even then if I draw something on the sheet so Create Custom Symbol goes active I...
  4. dwc

Is it possible to cause a drawing to only display the non-hidden parts of an assembly?

When I try to make a drawing of only certain parts of my assembly that has the parts I don't need in the drawing hidden, AD always places the entire assembly in the drawing. I could, of course, delete those parts from the assembly, but am not sure all the constraints would hold up well. I don't...
  5. dwc

What does this error message mean ?

MISSING_SPAN_INFO: span info missing for ef_int construction What does this error message mean ? And what can I do to eliminate it? This is showing up after I loft a feature and then try to mirror it. The loft does not show an error, the error message is the mirror status. I have done very...
  6. dwc

Updating to Using Configurations

As learning to use configurations seemed daunting for just 1 or 2 parts I have make part variants by suppressing features. As I see the need coming up more often I have decided to kneel into it and configuration use is seeming logical. My problem, I have a couple of pretty complicated parts with...
  7. dwc

Intersection of a curved surface and a plane

I am trying to get the Intersection of a curved surface and a plane on a sketch without any luck. Using Project to Sketch with the sketch on the plane does not give the intersection, but projects the extremes as seen on the plane. Maybe it is just too late at night, but I am stuck. Who can help...
  8. dwc

How do I start the script console ?

How do I start the script console ? I can't find anything mentioning Alibre Script on the GUI and searching for Alibre Script or even just Script returns nothing in the help. Running V21. I know I have used scripts before, but today I am stumped.
  9. dwc

How do I get rid of this error?...

I changed the name of a directory and am now getting an error when opening an assembly in that directory. AD opens a Message window with: "Messages Error - Failed loading file -D /Documents/......." (very helpfully it is not possible to copy the error message. Who programmed that?) If I say...
  10. dwc

Scaling a drawing

For some reason AD is changing the scales in my drawings to a multiple of 0.1. This started yesterday so something must have changed, but I can't find it. Even old drawings are read in correctly and after about 2 seconds the scale is changed, I can see it happen. I have reset the user profile...
  11. dwc

SOLVED Loft cut error message ?????

What does this error message mean? INCONS_EDGE_FACE_REL: Boolean could not determine the relationship between an edge of one body and a face of other body (ext) I am doing a loft with 10 sketches. That works. I then make 10 new sketches by projecting those 10 sketches to new sketches and do a...
  12. dwc

Something very fishy, this is driving me crazy...

In the meantime I check to be sure my splines start and end correctly on the middle line as there is apparently no way to edit them. Now I can copy and mirror correctly, but is I move the sketch to the correct position I get an overlap error. I have tried sketch->move, moving free hand and...
  13. dwc

Having problems entering splines...

Using V21 I am trying to trace curves on a jpg file in a drawing to be then able to use them for part design and have questions that I don't see answered in the help or elsewhere: 1) Using "Spline by Reference Points" I can trace the curve, but am then unable to edit the curve in any way except...
  14. dwc

Is there a way to turn off the maintenance renewal nag? [Yes]

As a long time Alibre user (they were in single digit versions when I first tried Alibre) I have kept up over years with the maintenance plan. Now that I am retired it is no longer in my budget. For my spare time projects I will be staying with 21 forever. How can I turn off the renewal nag?
  15. dwc

[Fixed] - [V21] Smallest design tree size is way too big

Just downloaded V21. How do I get a design tree size as it was before e.g. about the same size text as in the menus? I see there are three sizes, but I don't get small, medium and large. I get large, larger and tremendous. The smallest size a almost twice what I would like (and had). Is there...
  16. dwc

Best practices for AD with Keyshot

I need to make a series of renderings for those making design decisions. There are small changes in form and color for every rendering, but the majority of the object must remain the same. I am going crazy as I can find no way to define a material in AD or to apply the same materials to the...
  17. dwc

Need help with a loft

I am a long time AD user, but have rarely needed to loft. Well now I do and it is not going well. Attached is the offending file. It is the back of a viola which I need to get right, not just approximately. I have put the topological map of the surface in sketches on planes at the correct...
  18. dwc

Assembly boolean

How does one get an assembly boolean to update? The only way I have found to get it to update after changing either blank or tool is to delete the result in the assembly and start over. Even closing and reloading the assembly seems to do nothing. Using the latest GM version. There has to be a...
  19. dwc

KeyShot - can a part have different textures...

I am makng my first tentative steps using Keyshot and have in the first half an hour found what appears to me to be a show stopper. I can find no way to put different textures on different surfaces of a part. I have parts with, for example, a brushed surface and polished angling on the edges...
  20. dwc

Once again: no licence, WAKE UP GM, FIX THIS....

You can't tell me that there is a problem with my Internet connection. I was immediately able to input my license code and it is working again. Your licensing code is full of bugs. No more thumb twiddling, fix this! Don