What's new

Search results

1. dmckee101

Asking for ideas to produce a radial profile - resolved

Think of a circular BMX track. At 0°, 90°, 180°, and 270° the profile crests. It transitions to a trough at 45°, 135°, 225°, and 315°. To complete this example the inner radius is 10 mm and the outer radius is 30 mm. I tried to sketch a similar idea. I've thought about this too long :confused...
  2. dmckee101

Converting a drawing to an SVG format

A customer wanted SVG files of a control box we build for their machines. After a lot of searching, trying different programs and website conversion tools, nothing worked. But I finally did solve it: Open the drawing in Alibre Gem (circular button at the top left) > Publish to PDF (give...
  3. dmckee101

Display jumps (jerky) when using Space Navigator

It used to be when I would use the Space Navigator to roll, pan, twist, zoom, etc. the display would smoothly respond. Now when using the Space Navigator the display jump in increments. It is no longer a continuous gliding motion. Using the regular mouse, when holding the left and right...
  4. dmckee101

TIL Chuck Hill invented 3D printing

While reading an article in Mechanical Engineering, I read that Chuck Hull invented 3D printing, also later learned that he is executive vice president and chief technology officer at 3D Systems. http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/13/tech/innovation/the-night-i-invented-3d-printing-chuck-hall/
  5. dmckee101

Adding Copyright info to an IGES file

The addition of copyright information to a IGES model file can sometimes be beneficial. I started doing this in fall of 2012 and have not had an issue with any of my vendors who use IGES files. This method is for a single IGES file only. This could be a scripted process, but that's for you to...
  6. dmckee101

Anyone moved data from 32 bit vault to 64 bit vault?

Has anyone using the Vault, on a Win 32 bit OS, later installed a Win 64 bit OS? I don't know if you had to, but did you then install the 64 bit Vault? If you did, how did you handle the Vault data transfer?
  7. dmckee101

Customization Settings Deleted in GD Feb 04 update

I've had no problems with automatic updates until this latest one (I think it was on the 4th of Feb). Every change and customization to the System Options page I had made were gone after the update. Now I get to spend my time recreating the shortcuts that had saved me time instead of getting my...
  8. dmckee101

Datum snaps to wrong side of surface

Didn't see this problem in a search so here goes: Sometimes when adding a Datum to a 2d drawing, it will put the anchor on the correct surface but upside down. It is very repeatable when it happens, but I cannot determine what is causing it to snap this way. You can see in the jpg that you...
  9. dmckee101

Size of Open and Import Icons in Home Window

I just downloaded 2012 and can't wait to get started, the previews have looked great, but.... :( I'm disappointed from the start by the continued diminutive size of the Open and Import buttons on the Home window. I say diminutive because the New Part button has 87x more click area than the...
  10. dmckee101

Importing IGES files #LFMF

Hi, Here's a BIG point learned and wanted pass onto everyone who imports 3D IGES or other format files from 3rd party sources; Always, always, always use the Check Part tool on medium at least. I've had three assemblies screwed up that I've had to recreate because a stupid little IGES file of a...
  11. dmckee101

Degree of Freedom indicator

Was I dreaming? Didn't 12.1have a DOF indicator in the status bar that showed numerically how many DOFs remain unconstrained? Sketch shows now shows me only that I am underconstrained or fully constrained. :?
  12. dmckee101

Knock Outs

Is anyone adding knock-outs to their sheet metal designs? I mean a true knock out and not a modified dimple (unless you've figured out how to do it that way). *<[]:o{|>
  13. dmckee101

How can I delete the Default Vault?

I still have the default vault and it's associated data on my disk taking up 3.6GB if space. I'd sure like to have that space available. How can I delete the Default Vault and its associated data?
  14. dmckee101

Dimension Styles in the System

Hey, does anyone know how Alibre stores dimension styles for the system itself. I know that dim-styles for individual drawings are stored in the drawing file itself somewhere. But I was wondering if the dim-styles for the system are stored somewhere, like thread information. It would be GREAT...
  15. dmckee101

Home screen OPEN and IMPORT icons

Maybe it's just my install, or maybe Alibre decided that most people don't frequently OPEN or IMPORT files. Why on earth would they shrink these important buttons to 12% of the size (18 x 18 pixels) of the other buttons (148 x 156 pixels)? The BOM button for instance, I use BOMs frequently, but...
  16. dmckee101

Chamfer preview vs. rendered is different

Anybody bored today? Would you like to try and validate what I'm seeing here? I have a tapered hole through a disk and chamfered the smaller end of the taper. The chamfer preview looks like it should. Then I hit OK and it just goes weird. I know it can be worked around but that isn't my point...
  17. dmckee101

Alibre Symbols problem

Would someone using V11, the 'vault', and XP try something for me? On a drawing, I have a circle representing a hole with a concentric representing a countersink. Doing a diameter dimension on one of the holes, I get a nice diameter symbol and the size. Here's the problem, editing the...
  18. dmckee101

When will you upgrade to v11? POLL

Just curious when will you upgrade to v11? Poll ends on the 21 Sept. Dennis
  19. dmckee101

Algor FEA

Hey, I know that some of you work with FEA a great deal more than others. I'm on a mail list for Algor (I'm sure others are too.) and received this e-mail today. I would be very interested a full install if my company would foot the bill. (But that's not going to happen.) :wink: Good day! I...
  20. dmckee101

Drawing Revision Markers

Maybe I'm just too old school, but doesn't anyone else use a marker next to a revision on a drawing? Protocol that I've followed for a long time (a very long time :roll: ) had been to mark any changes on a drawing with the revision number inscribed in a triangle next to the change. This helps...