What's new

Search results

1. S

Traced image as the basis for an assembly

I am trying to use a traced, scaled image as the basis to build multiple components for a boat model. I can create a tracing image in a new assembly. My plan had been to create a part in the assembly, then edit the part within the assembly, and trace it off the tracing image. When I try though...
  2. S

Best approach for this part

I've attached what is a special lens cell for an optical project. If someone would like to look, at its heart is a sketch tied to a 2D arrangement of lenses tipped and shifted to each other. There is no single rotation of cut that would make this, so the second and third sketches are rotated...
  3. S

Working with large hexagonal mesh

I have a sheet metal part which, when its finished, will be perforated with 6.5mm AF hexagonal mesh - the part is fairly big, about 450mm x 450mm, and my mesh keeps breaking Alibre to the point of crashing. How can I improve the performance ?I've tried to use more sketches of meshes, and fewer...
  4. S

Sheet metal tutorials

Are there any decent tutorials on using the Sheet metal tools ? I have a part with a long edge (say 150mm) from which I need to have two narrower flanges, say 25mm long each, one 20mm from one end of the long edge, the other 60mm from the same edge. Every time I have made a flange and then...
  5. S

Sheet metal. Turning an existing flat drawing into a SMP

I have not actually used the SMP tool much, in the probably 10 years of being a user. Nearly every time I make a SMP, I've sent a model based on a standard part to the sheet metal supplier. Right now, I have a project where all I have are existing flat patterns (giant PDF drawing) with fold...
  6. S

Where's my licence ???

I paid up to renew my licence 10 days ago and I've heard nothing from "GeoMagic" - oh, I tell a lie, I've had a message asking how I found your support.... My answer is - absolutely appalling. SURELY the system is automated ?
  7. S

LEATHER work ....in Alibre.....

I thought you guys might be interested in another novel use for Alibre. I put the project on here. http://www.instructables.com/id/A-leath ... ury-style/ The only thing that spoiled the toolchain was that I couldn't edit the drawing to get rid of the fold lines in Alibre before it went to my...
  8. S

How to roll out this part ?

I've got this design for a hollow shell, through which straight pipes will pass, so any holes not on axis are not circles in the flat sheet from which the part will be made. How do I roll this part out to make a production drawing, or pattern for a CNC laser ? Its got me stumped !
  9. S

Bug reports without Outhouse Excuse

Is there any way to stop the bug reporting service trying to use Outlook ? We don't permit its use in-house. Steve
  10. S

Making a part and a mirrored part

I have a two identical, but mirror image, parts. What's the most efficient way of attacking the CAM process with the CAM version in Pro ? Thanks for any tips Steve
  11. S

Lost the MCS Triad !

I'm running AD2011, and I turned off the view planes and view co-ordinate system options to look at a part in detail. Now, in CAM, I can't find the MCS triad ! Ive turned all the optional views off, and back on, but still no triad. Any ideas folks please ? Steve
  12. S

M-files Backup failure

I have just lost ~1 1/2 months work, and I am not a happy man. We have been making religous backups of our M-files vault, on a system where client and server are the same machine - not uncommon I am told. Backups are taken onto a remote machine, and we had quite a set. The PC Windows system...
  13. S

Automatic labelling

I have a load of assembly drawings to mark up with little arrows and nametags for each part in the assembly. Is there any automatic method of doing it ? Thanks Steve
  14. S

Setting MCS ??

Sorry, I suspect this has been asked before, but HOW do I set the MCS ? Its at right angles to the way I want to mill it. I have Alibre Expert 11.1, and the embedded ALibre CAM module 1.1, but I don't seem to be able to nominate the Z axis. What have I forgotten ? Thanks for any help. Steve
  15. S

Dimensioning a Pitch circle diameter

Dimensioning a Pitch circle diameter I'm missing something obvious, but how do I dimension the PCD of a pattern of hole features ? Thanks for any help. Steve
  16. S

Importing Alibre Sheet metal, as a part

Importing Alibre Sheet metal, as a part Hi, Is there any way to re-import an Alibre sheet metal component as a PART ? The component I have designed in sheet metal is getting very complicated, and our sheet metal makers prefer to do it their way than mine ! To that end...
  17. S

Aluminium extrusions workflow

Aluminium extrusions workflow I have a little project which requires three different aluminium extrusions cut into 10 different lengths, with mitres of various angles on the ends. What's the best work flow to get all the final 10 parts related in such a way that I...
  18. S

Extrusion project

Extrusion project This is an example of the extrusion project parts, with mitred joints etc. Steve
  19. S

Tangent to a doughnut

Tangent to a doughnut Has anyone any suggestions how I can constrain a plane to be tangent to the surface of a torus, perpendicular to the axis of the torus ? Thanks Steve
  20. S

drilling radial holes through assemblies

drilling radial holes through assemblies When working with planar surfaces, its easy to "drill" holes between two components in an assembly, in a way that keeps the association between the two. How can I drill RADIAL holes between two parts ? I thought I could pick up...